A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

kuuushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kuuushi Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 9:19pm
post #12631 of 25877

ALmao I am peeing myself here! HAHAHAHA!

Ahem. Perfect FOR LEVELLING CUPS AND MEASURING SPOONS!

Tiddylicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiddylicious Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 9:20pm
post #12632 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuuushi 

... OMG that was a dodgy prawn...

:lol: go away you nutter! OMG i think i will have to cancel that course kuuushi! one thought of fir level cups and ignorant spoons will be all it take and she will chuck me out! :lol:

kuuushi Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 9:21pm
post #12633 of 25877

A

Original message sent by Tiddylicious

:lol:  go away you nutter! OMG i think i will have to cancel that course kuuushi! one thought of fir level cups and ignorant spoons will be all it take and she will chuck me out! :lol:

Nooo! Imagine the fun we will have and we need to royal her mouth shut remember?!

Tiddylicious Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 9:23pm
post #12634 of 25877

wow seriously kuuushi! i have not laughed that much in a long time :lol:

kuuushi Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 9:25pm
post #12635 of 25877

AI'm laughing too and ive told my hubby2b and he's like oh my god, seriously check before you hit post!

Hahah! Fir levelled cups and ignorant spoons. I think that needs to be my tag line hahah!

Jo Field Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo Field Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 9:33pm
post #12636 of 25877

APetitecat I'm not experienced enough to comment but I'm sure you'd be great - go for it !

Not happy for lots of reasons, sp didn't go well and as I'm trying to grow my nails for a big ball next week I dented it more times than you could shake a stick at !

Anyway used royal to stick those tiny hundreds and thousands on took ages, and I sneakily smeared it over dodgy cracks in sp - glad I changed to white now lol ;-)

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 9:37pm
post #12637 of 25877

I think your cake looks great Jo you've do a lovely job.

That sounds like a good idea to me Petitecat, people are always interested in a deal or promotion go for it it can't do any harm can it.

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 9:38pm
post #12638 of 25877

AYou lot are flipping well crackers!! Your nuts!!

Jean why are you so unsure about going into wedding cakes?

Have to start somewhere, maybe make a dummy one first.

Jo, what the flipping heck is wrong with that? Did you use a sheet to quilt?

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 9:38pm
post #12639 of 25877

AYeah maybe Jean, to launch/ promote the wedding cake part of your business. Leah's school raffled a voucher for a giant cupcake at her fete, that was very successful apparently.

maisie73 Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 9:43pm
post #12640 of 25877

AAw jo you're being too hard on yourself. I'd be chuffed if made that, it's lovely. Hi nanny. :-)

kuuushi Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 9:45pm
post #12641 of 25877

AJo, my first quilting job was a mess! Literally a mess!! That is amazing! Well done!

m4rvelgeek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m4rvelgeek Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 9:47pm
post #12642 of 25877

A

Original message sent by kuuushi

I'm laughing too and ive told my hubby2b and he's like oh my god, seriously check before you hit post!

Hahah! Fir levelled cups and ignorant spoons. I think that needs to be my tag line hahah!

Add it your post signature...! ;)

Tiddylicious Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 9:47pm
post #12643 of 25877

Jo before i add the pearls i use this tool

it gives you a little cross and a dip so its easier to put them in :D

Tiddylicious Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 9:48pm
post #12644 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4rvelgeek 

Add it your post signature...! icon_wink.gif

yes do it!

kuuushi Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 9:54pm
post #12645 of 25877

ATadaaaaaaa! :D

kuuushi Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 9:59pm
post #12646 of 25877

AAnd on that note, night night everyone! I'm 12 days through fasting! Wooooooop!!

Tiddylicious Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 10:01pm
post #12647 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuuushi 

Tadaaaaaaa! icon_biggrin.gif

:lol:

Jo Field Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 10:10pm
post #12648 of 25877

AThanks everyone you are a good remedy for a shakey start at quilting !

Nanny it was pme stitching tool across a folding piece of manilla folder :-/

Tricky if you don't have steady hands !!

Tiddy I did think about using those but I think u rolled sp too thin tbh so was worried I poke through it !!!

Night Kuuushi x

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 10:11pm
post #12649 of 25877

A

Original message sent by petitecat

I can't live without my turning table, the £5 one from Ikea!

Wow Marvel, that would take 'naked' cakes to a  whole new level eh?

What is Kuushi on about? I don't get it :)

I was wondering what people's (ie, you lot :D) thoughts were on this. I'm rather keen to make wedding cakes but want to kind of 'experience' it first. I thought I might offer a wedding cake to someone at cost, perhaps through those facebook groups, but there will be limits- like up to 3 tiers only, and only so many flowers or something like that. I thought I'd limit the offer to cakes for this year rather than next. I'm that keen. I know most people have booked their cakes in advanced, but I'm hoping there might be some who haven't. I'm also limiting where the cake will travel (delivery is part of the cost) to maybe 30 miles from where I am. Not quite decided on this. If I generated a lot of interest, then I thought I'd raffle off. I was thinking this might be a good way of getting some interested in me anyway and looking me up. 

The whole point of the exercise is so I know the ins and outs of making wedding cakes. Going through the consultation, I'm including the tasting too so I'd have to make some sheet cakes for this, discussing the cake design, the venue, etc etc. I'd like to have actually done an actual wedding cake before I take on paid orders for them.

Thoughts? Good idea? bad? waste of time? 

I know it would cost you, but I'd seriously consider doing one as a prize only, not at cost.

You will still get all the practise you want, the consultation, tasters etc, but you're selling it as a professional product. If you offer at cost, no matter how you word it, for a wedding cake I think it will shout 'I'm not sure of myself'. That's fine for the one person you do it for who is getting a bargain, but imagine you're another prospective client seeing it. A bride wants to know that you know what you're doing, and if they've seen that you're offering something at cost because you aren't sure of yourself, I think that might ring alarm bells.

If you really want to practise instead of jumping in, I'd be inclined to work out a few designs that you feel you would be happy doing, and what you would charge for them, then do your raffle idea with a grand prize of 'one of these beautiful cakes worth £xx'. You can still do the taster for it, you can still have the consult for colours, minor changes, venue questions etc, but you haven't said anywhere that you're doing it to gain experience.

I'm with nanny though, what's making you think you can't just jump in? Honestly, if you get a few dummies under your belt for show, and practise stacking if that's something that concerns you, there's really nothing else to it. I'm the most shy person I know, I hate talking to strangers, and on my first consults I made my hubby stay in the room as a back-up chatter, but as soon as someone asks you a question you go into cake mode and as you know what you're talking about it just kind of flows.

Just my two penneth :-)

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 10:12pm
post #12650 of 25877

AHi all... :)

Tiddy, fab cake as always! :)

Marvel, gorgeous flowers and the rainbow.:smile:

Jo, your cake looks perfect to me. Cannot see anything wrong with that. I have a wedding cake to do with quilting on at the end of the month. I got the mat. So hoping It goes smoothly.:-)

Jean, it is a good idea. But why don't you find a wedding fair near your area and make two or three dummy cakes as well as a small three tier cake, then you can cut this cake and serve as samples? Just a thought. You get to make a cake and sample at the same time! :smile:

Jo Field Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 10:16pm
post #12651 of 25877

AThanks Bashini, it was actually easier than I thought once I got going. My sp cover was my main disappointment but think I might be too hard on myself, considering I'm only £10 for this ballerina choc cake !!!!!!!!!!

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 10:18pm
post #12652 of 25877

Nanny, I'm not too worried about making actual wedding cakes. I just wanted to 'experience' making a cake for a real wedding to give me confidence when taking on wedding cake orders. Just so I asked the right questions about designs, venue, getting to the venue and getting the cake ready on the day, getting my contract right, and so on and so forth. 

If not at cost, maybe 50%? That might come across as more promo like than 'Cake at Cost'! 

Jo I had a bloody nightmare with my MMF tonight too. I don't know why but the first time I made that stuff I thought my SP troubles were over! My MMF tonight was just really tough- so hard to knead. I should have added water I guess. It wouldn't stick to the friggin cake too! Took aaaggeeesss! It's a good thing that it's going to be covered all over otherwise I would have had to start over with new SP. 

Kuushii, the end to the fasting is in sight? Yay!

As usual I am knackered so goodnight folks!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 10:18pm
post #12653 of 25877

AI know what you mean Jo. Always see something wrong with our cakes.

Anyway, off to bed now. Good Night everyone!! :-)

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 10:19pm
post #12654 of 25877

Bashini, I don't think I can afford a wedding fair right now :(

Jo Field Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 10:21pm
post #12655 of 25877

ASorry to hear you struggled too petitecat :-(

Night all xx

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 10:38pm
post #12656 of 25877

Night everyone.

kuuushi Posted 11 Jul 2014 , 6:39am
post #12657 of 25877

AMorning :)

Yes I'm nearly half way through fasting! It's going slow in the days but overall quickly in the weeks so it's okay! Not as bad as I thought! Pretty sure it's May next year so that a short fast again woop!

Runs me down a little. Guaranteed to get a cold sore when I fast. Ouchy!

Did I mention before that I am going to try grays white choc mud cake next week? I have a birthday cake for a last who loves white chocolate so I think in going to do white choc mud cake with cream and raspberries covered in white ganache with white chocolate shards going around the side. A white anemone on top and a white ribbon. Simple and chic!

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 11 Jul 2014 , 7:00am
post #12658 of 25877

AOoooo, cant wait to see that kuuushi.

I made some red roses last night for a last min cake for Sunday, the red was abit dull as lots of icing sugar on them so I air brushed them , look so much nicer.

Got a lovely Gerber cake for next Wed, all pretty pastel colours.

maisie73 Posted 11 Jul 2014 , 7:15am
post #12659 of 25877

AMorning all. :-)

You're doing well Kuuushi! When does it end?

Isn't it sunny already today nanny? I'm off to Bridgend and porthcawl today with my mam and her dog, Leah doesn't like the dog, won't go near him so were making the most of it before she comes home later. Are the roses for the ruby wedding cake?

kuuushi Posted 11 Jul 2014 , 7:28am
post #12660 of 25877

AMorning nanny, I can see it in my head and hope I can pull it off as it looks beautiful all locked up in my brain lol! The roses sound lovely! I think I may pick up a dinky doodle at CI, let's see if I can nab me kuuushis card :D

Morning Maisie, hopefully 28th but again it all depends on the moon! Closer to the day I will let everyone know. Lovely that your spending time with your mum. Wish I could spend more time with my mum but she's always working and so am I! :(

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%