A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

njoycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
njoycakes Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 7:52pm
post #1111 of 25877

Hey Lisa,
Cakes look great! Nice piping skills! And a bit of disco glitter is always a winner.
As for prices, well it varies from place to place what you might get for them, priced individually I've seen them on sale for anything from £1.50 to £3 each. Boxes of 6 are usually, well in my area anyway anything from around £12 upwards.

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 8:05pm
post #1112 of 25877

Great cuppies Lisa, did you get the recipe?

I sell my cuppies from £1.50 depending on decoration.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 8:13pm
post #1113 of 25877

Lisa so pleased you liked the choc hazelnut cakes icon_biggrin.gif I charge £1.25 each per small cupcake and £1.75 each for a large cupcake plus extra if they want lots of work on the top or a figure.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 8:20pm
post #1114 of 25877

Going back to previous posts about the cricut cake if anyone was considering if they come down in price, I did a little research and contacted a US company about using them here..
this is what I got

"International buyers please note :The Cricut machines have a built in Voltage converter and accept voltages from 100V to 240V so all you would need in order for your machine to work is an International/European Plug/OUTLET ADAPTER.)"

I think the idea of buy perhaps here and try it out is a good bet. Then can see for sure as such a mixed review on it being so tricky to get stuff right with it.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:09pm
post #1115 of 25877

Thanks all ^_^ I was going to go for £1 each and £5 for 6, now I'm thinking that's way undercharging, so I'm going to go for £1.50 each and £7.50 for 6 I think. What do you guys think? I always struggle with pricing as a lot of people think "it's just cake" grr...

The cricut is a distant dream for me icon_sad.gif Just can't justify getting it icon_sad.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 10:30pm
post #1116 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

Thanks all ^_^ I was going to go for £1 each and £5 for 6, now I'm thinking that's way undercharging, so I'm going to go for £1.50 each and £7.50 for 6 I think. What do you guys think? I always struggle with pricing as a lot of people think "it's just cake" grr...

The is a distant dream for me icon_sad.gif Just can't justify getting it icon_sad.gif

I do £18 for 12 and £32 for 24 standard size cupcakes decorated
hope this helps icon_smile.gif

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 6:07pm
post #1117 of 25877

I have so much to catch up on. I locked myself out the other day & trying to get the lock off the back gate slipped & now have a hole in my arm. Had to have a tetnus in my other arm, now that's gone all heavy & painful. It's been a nightmare trying to finish a cake off for tomorrow icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeoxo

Sillyoldpoohbear, good thinking bout the show, that would be fab if there is a good offer on it. Just noticed you are in the midlands, so I guess you are going.

Yes definitely, I go every year. I guess we kind of take it for granted living so close icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

"International buyers please note :The cricut machines have a built in Voltage converter and accept voltages from 100V to 240V so all you would need in order for your machine to work is an International/European Plug/OUTLET ADAPTER.)"

Thanks for finding that out. They said on one fo the cricut shows that if you used a US one over here it wouldn't work right, possibly too slow, & that it would void your warranty. It just shows they're just saying it to stop you buying it cheaper from the USA icon_mad.gif

Thanks for the info Lisapeps Yes I did notice some said brooch & others didn't. Your cupcakes look so pretty thumbs_up.gif

While we are on the subject of cupcakes, I've been meaning to ask, what type of BC does everyone use for them? I did some last week using my usual BC recipe but it was too stiff to pipe.

mumof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumof3 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 7:09pm
post #1118 of 25877

Hello there everyone...another UK baker.

After reading about 15 pages I must confess I gave up...and now I am going to ask my question. Please accept my apology if this has been answered.

I've tried Nigella's Buttermilk Cake...I've tried Goodfood's Sponge, and Victoria Sponge. All are fine when baked in an 8" tin...but I am having trouble when baking in larger tins, say a 14" tin. They come out slightly dry, especially round the sides. I'm a fairly competent baker...lacking in decorating skills....but it bugs me that I can't get the sponge just right. (BTW Chocolate sponges come out perfect.)

In desperation, today I tried the box mix method.....but I was disappointed. It was fluffy, and I'm just not used to fluffy. There is also a distinct after taste. But this is in my own humble opinion. (I was brought up on heavier cakes studied with hundreds and thousands.)

Anyway sorry about this long message....but I just need some help or tips on how to keep the sponge moist. Should I add more liquid?

Thank you for reading.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 7:28pm
post #1119 of 25877

welcome mumof3. I would never even think of doing a victoria sponge bigger than 8" but that's just because I think the get dry with the extra cooking time.

Have you tried using bake even strips to help it cook slower and even, or a heat core so that the middle is cooking at the same time as the outside. Chocolate cake has the advantage of the extra fats and water in the chocolate.

sillyoldpoohbear Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 7:49pm
post #1120 of 25877

Hi mumof3 icon_smile.gif

I find that with my bigger sponges ("12 +) they tend to be drier round the sides. I always put it down to the fact that having to cook it longer, to get the middle cooked, does it. When I'm doing a bigger cake I always turn the oven down 10c or so, so that the edges don't cook quicker than the middle.

I agree with you about box cakes. I think if you're used to "proper" cake then boxed taste so false icon_smile.gif

mumof3 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:00pm
post #1121 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyoldpoohbear

Hi mumof3 icon_smile.gif

I find that with my bigger sponges ("12 +) they tend to be drier round the sides. I always put it down to the fact that having to cook it longer, to get the middle cooked, does it. When I'm doing a bigger cake I always turn the oven down 10c or so, so that the edges don't cook quicker than the middle.

I agree with you about box cakes. I think if you're used to "proper" cake then boxed taste so false icon_smile.gif

Thank you for the quick response Sillyoldpoohbear (BTW love the name). I'll try cooking at a lower temp.

However, I was wondering if adding pudding mix....angel delight to us, might solve the problem? Everyone on CC seems to rave about how moist it makes cakes .......I was hoping someone else might have tried it.... I don't fancy making a 14" cake as a trial....

Do you think it could work?

allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:01pm
post #1122 of 25877

Hi Mumof3 icon_smile.gif
If I have anything over a 10" and I bake in two layers. Now I know it takes longer and esp with only one tin but it made a huge difference when I did it that way and put the two together to make the one tier. I always use bake even strips on 10" upwards and I make a "hat" over the top of the tins from baking parchment.

Means they nearly always (crossing fingers here..) come out needing minimum levelling and as its less mixture it means they don't have to bake for so long and not dry.

I got the 2 layer tip when I was doing my friend's first 4 tier wedding cake last month. i re-baked the two largest tiers as they were dry, dense and I was never gonna serve them I was in a panic! Woman with years of experience on me at cake shop said do it in two. Just halve the mix and pour in tin - I'd never thought of that! I also always put a tray of water in bottom of oven keep moisture in when its baking.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1123 of 25877

Quote:

I have so much to catch up on. I locked myself out the other day & trying to get the lock off the back gate slipped & now have a hole in my arm. Had to have a tetnus in my other arm, now that's gone all heavy & painful. It's been a nightmare trying to finish a cake off for tomorrow icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Thanks for finding that out. They said on one fo the shows that if you used a US one over here it wouldn't work right, possibly too slow, & that it would void your warranty. It just shows they're just saying it to stop you buying it cheaper from the USA icon_mad.gif

While we are on the subject of cupcakes, I've been meaning to ask, what type of BC does everyone use for them? I did some last week using my usual BC recipe but it was too stiff to pipe.

Oh no wishing you well! a bad arm and a cake arrgggh poor you

ooo they are so cheeky! I can't see how any of the ones they are going to sell over here are any different - half the craft places are "awaiting shipment" so i'm guessing from the USA anyway

I use icing sugar, unsalted butter and whatever flavouring i'm doing and a couple of tablespoons of milk. If i need it really stiff I leave the milk out but normally add a dash and makes it easier for piping - not sure if this is any different though or helps in any way? I'd like to try the italian meringue bc has anyone made/used it?

I'm so exhausted. I took on a cake this morning - yep this morning - for collection tomorrow morning. my eyes are hanging out my head lol. I felt for her though its for a nursing home and she had been let down for the cake for the fund raiser icon_sad.gif having a break..

allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:14pm
post #1124 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumof3

Quote:

Hi mumof3 icon_smile.gif

Thank you for the quick response Sillyoldpoohbear (BTW love the name). I'll try cooking at a lower temp.

However, I was wondering if adding pudding mix....angel delight to us, might solve the problem? Everyone on CC seems to rave about how moist it makes cakes .......I was hoping someone else might have tried it.... I don't fancy making a 14" cake as a trial....

Do you think it could work?

Is that what their pudding mix is? I often wondered! wonder how that works too be interested to hear what others say about the angel delight in cake mix icon_biggrin.gif

mumof3 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:19pm
post #1125 of 25877
Quote:

Hi Mumof3 icon_smile.gif
If I have anything over a 10" and I bake in two layers. Now I know it takes longer and esp with only one tin but it made a huge difference when I did it that way and put the two together to make the one tier. I always use bake even strips on 10" upwards and I make a "hat" over the top of the tins from baking parchment.

Means they nearly always (crossing fingers here..) come out needing minimum levelling and as its less mixture it means they don't have to bake for so long and not dry.

I got the 2 layer tip when I was doing my friend's first 4 tier wedding cake last month. i re-baked the two largest tiers as they were dry, dense and I was never gonna serve them I was in a panic! Woman with years of experience on me at cake shop said do it in two. Just halve the mix and pour in tin - I'd never thought of that! I also always put a tray of water in bottom of oven keep moisture in when its baking.

Thank you so much allaboutcakeuk. thumbs_up.gif I was looking at the bake even stipes, and I think I will buy some.
As for the tip about baking in two stages. If I half the mixture and let it bake. Will the other half of the mixture be happy to wait the 40mins plus...I was always told that any batter hanging around will not rise well. icon_confused.gif

I have an important cake coming up, so these tips really mean a lot.

Thanks

mumof3 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:33pm
post #1126 of 25877

Is that what their pudding mix is? I often wondered! wonder how that works too be interested to hear what others say about the angel delight in cake mix icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

Yeah I think a lot of us were wondering about pudding mix. icon_confused.gif Someone kindly sent a picture and I happened to be in Riyadh where they sell it...so yes the nearest thing to pudding mix on UK shores would be Angel Delight. icon_biggrin.gif

poohster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohster Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:38pm
post #1127 of 25877

Hi all
Just want to say there are some pretty impresive cake makers on here and I just wish I had you talents icon_biggrin.gif
Am not a baker by profession but a stationery maker which I am sure your all aware is a very competative market.
To broaden my services I am considering offering cupcakes and mini cakes, have never done anything like it before other than making brownies, xmas pudding and other cakey/biscuity type things at xmas. Have bought the stuff to make a basic cupcake and am going to see how they turn out, how they turn out will then help me decide weather to go ahead and offer this service.
Have read through many posts on here and can pretty much assume you NEED to contact the EMH people before starting, I am doing a food hygine coarse soon as im a nursery nurse and thought this would be good to put on my CV thumbs_up.gif
To those of you who are already established, what to you find it the best form of advertising, do any of you sell on ebay?
Im sure ill be visiting many many times for help and advise if i decide to go ahead with cupcakes.
Thanks guys icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 9:14pm
post #1128 of 25877

I make the italian meringue buttercream... it lush. Everyone loves it, so smooth and not too sweet like ABC or the buttercream with icing sugar.

Love it. It's only downfall is heat, but that shouldn't be a problem with out weather. Be interesting to see what its like during the summer months (or should I say weeks).

I have a recipe if you want it?

allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 10:41pm
post #1129 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

I make the italian meringue buttercream... it lush. Everyone loves it, so smooth and not too sweet like ABC or the buttercream with icing sugar.

Love it. It's only downfall is heat, but that shouldn't be a problem with out weather. Be interesting to see what its like during the summer months (or should I say weeks).

I have a recipe if you want it?

Hi LisaPeps that would be brill thank you - I don't mind BC but do find it sometimes too sweet for my taste and would be nice to try out an alternative. Ha ha yes i agree with you on the weather we should be ok on that one icon_lol.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 10:44pm
post #1130 of 25877
Quote:

Is that what their pudding mix is? I often wondered! wonder how that works too be interested to hear what others say about the angel delight in cake mix icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah I think a lot of us were wondering about pudding mix. icon_confused.gif Someone kindly sent a picture and I happened to be in Riyadh where they sell it...so yes the nearest thing to pudding mix on UK shores would be Angel Delight. icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

I tried asking on other forums but wasn't sure if people thought i was nuts its just something i've never used. i looked it up but kept coming up with jello! thanks i may give a recipe a go now and see how it turns out.

Thank you for your lovely comment on my photo. We never give ourselves enough credit for our cakes I bet yours are fab thumbs_up.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 10:51pm
post #1131 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohster

Hi all
Just want to say there are some pretty impresive cake makers on here and I just wish I had you talents icon_biggrin.gif
Am not a baker by profession but a stationery maker which I am sure your all aware is a very competative market.
To broaden my services I am considering offering cupcakes and mini cakes, have never done anything like it before other than making brownies, xmas pudding and other cakey/biscuity type things at xmas. Have bought the stuff to make a basic cupcake and am going to see how they turn out, how they turn out will then help me decide weather to go ahead and offer this service.
Have read through many posts on here and can pretty much assume you NEED to contact the EMH people before starting, I am doing a food hygine coarse soon as im a nursery nurse and thought this would be good to put on my CV thumbs_up.gif
To those of you who are already established, what to you find it the best form of advertising, do any of you sell on ebay?
Im sure ill be visiting many many times for help and advise if i decide to go ahead with cupcakes.
Thanks guys icon_smile.gif

It could be good to do some things for xmas and see how it goes. If you are going to start up from home and be selling to the public from there then you need to register with the local council and have standard food hygiene level 2. Every local authority varies as to their requirements for your kitchen/premises. They are normally pretty helpful though so before you start off you can give them a call and actually ask what their requirements are so you know if you need to make changes before inspection. cake making is regarded as a low risk food item. Maybe might be worth doing some local "farmers markets" or christmas food markets to see how they go? word of mouth is one of the best. I don't sell on ebay although have seen some on there. I just started with friends really first and word of mouth, then i did a website and i've started from there really. good luck thumbs_up.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 10:57pm
post #1132 of 25877
Quote:

Quote:

Hi Mumof3 icon_smile.gif

Thank you so much allaboutcakeuk. thumbs_up.gif I was looking at the bake even stipes, and I think I will buy some.
As for the tip about baking in two stages. If I half the mixture and let it bake. Will the other half of the mixture be happy to wait the 40mins plus...I was always told that any batter hanging around will not rise well. icon_confused.gif

Thanks

I just halve the quantities on the recipe and mix each batch one at a time rather than leaving in the mixer for the first part to bake as I don't like to leave it waiting too long unless its fruit cake mix then i don't mind so much. icon_smile.gif

mumof3 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 11:47pm
post #1133 of 25877
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Mumof3 icon_smile.gif

Thanks

I just halve the quantities on the recipe and mix each batch one at a time rather than leaving in the mixer for the first part to bake as I don't like to leave it waiting too long unless its fruit cake mix then i don't mind so much. icon_smile.gif

Thanks allaboutcakeuk I'll give this a go.

mumof3 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 6:28am
post #1134 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrummymummy

welcome mumof3. I would never even think of doing a victoria sponge bigger than 8" but that's just because I think the get dry with the for ycooking time.

Have you tried using bake even strips to help it cook slower and even, or a heat core so that the middle is cooking at the same time as the outside. Chocolate cake has the advantage of the extra fats and water in the chocolate.

Thank you scrummymummy for your comments. Will try baking stipes. I once tried the flower nail method.( Found here on CC.) I used it with a Silverwood Tin. The bottom of my cake burnt. icon_cry.gif That had never happened to me before so a lesson learnt. icon_wink.gif

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 8:56am
post #1135 of 25877

Sillyoldpoohbear. My buttercream which I find pipes just great is

500gm icing sugar
110gm butter
60ml milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

For chocolate either add 100gm of dark or white to the above.

For lemon no vanilla or milk. Just add 50-60ml lemon juice.

Hope that helps

LisaPeps Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 9:18am
post #1136 of 25877

Italian Meringue Butter cream: (It's best if you have a table top mixer, I don't so I get the mother to help)

5 large egg whites
100ml water
300g caster sugar
500g unsalted Butter
3-4 drops Vanilla Extract

Put the water and 250g of the sugar in a small saucepan. Stir while the mixture is heating, but stop once it starts bubbling. Boil the sugar until it reaches 121 degrees. Boil it on a rapid speed so the sugar doesn't discolour.
Meanwhile whisk the egg whites and gradually add the remaining 50g of sugar. Whisk the egg whites until they get to stiff peak.
When the sugar reaches 121 degrees take it off the heat and pour it into the egg whites in a gradual stream (SLOWLY) between the side of the bowl and the whisk (try not to get it on the side of the bowl where it will set and the whisk where it could splash and could be dangerous). If the sugar gets too solid to pour, return it to the hob for a couple of minutes. Whisk for about 10 minutes (until the side of the bowl is lukewarm/cool).
Gradually whisk in the butter and vanilla extract. If it starts to look curdled don't worry you just need to keep whisking.

I add Tesco's White chocolate with vanilla seeds in (Jane converted me), it's amazing. Melt 200g of chocolate, let it cool so much so that it doesn't set but it's cool when you touch the bowl. Gradually whisk this in after the butter.

I haven't experimented with flavours other than the chocolate.

Hope you like it icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 10:13am
post #1137 of 25877

LisaPeps thank you soooo much for the recipe i'm going to try this out it sounds delicious! how does it hold up under fondant is it fairly stiff?

thanks again

LisaPeps Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 10:53am
post #1138 of 25877

It is very silky when it is first made, suitable only for cupcakes. But as it is all butter if you put it on a cake and put it in the fridge it should harden up enough to use under fondant.

I tried it under fondant without putting it in the fridge and it was an absolute nightmare. Probably worth doing a practise one before you accept an order with it.

njoycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
njoycakes Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:27am
post #1139 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeoxo

Sillyoldpoohbear. My buttercream which I find pipes just great is

500gm icing sugar
110gm butter
60ml milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

For chocolate either add 100gm of dark or white to the above.

For lemon no vanilla or milk. Just add 50-60ml lemon juice.

Hope that helps

Hey poohbear, I use this too works perfectly every time, sometimes I'll go half and half with butter and trex if I'm doing some more complex piping that I want to crust and stand well, sounds gross but is actually really nice. As for the butter, I usually go salted, it cuts through the sweetness.

But be aware, don't eat too many, cupcakes decorated with BC come out at around 550+ calories a piece! A cupcake a day = lots of added pounds on your hips. icon_eek.gif

sillyoldpoohbear Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 2:13pm
post #1140 of 25877
Quote:

Oh no wishing you well! a bad arm and a cake arrgggh poor you

Thanks for the well wishes. It does feel a lot better today. I managed to get the cake done & she was so pleased but I didn't feel it was as good as it could have been. icon_sad.gif

Quote:

I'm so exhausted. I took on a cake this morning - yep this morning - for collection tomorrow morning. my eyes are hanging out my head lol. I felt for her though its for a nursing home and she had been let down for the cake for the fund raiser icon_sad.gif having a break..

I thought I was the only one who was a sucker for sob stories & working myself beyond my limit icon_lol.gif I feel your pain. Hope you're having a well deserved rest today icon_smile.gif

Thank you to everyone for their contribution on the bc. I'd looked at that many recipes on here it made my head spinn. Looking at all your recipes I guess I'm using too much butter & that bumps the cost up too.
Lisapeps I did look at the imbc recipe & thought it sounded so yummy. I'll have to add it to my 'to try' list. Love the "get the mother to help" I thought I was the only one that uses her mom as another cake implement icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by njoycakes

Hey poohbear, I use this too works perfectly every time, sometimes I'll go half and half with butter and trex if I'm doing some more complex piping that I want to crust and stand well, sounds gross but is actually really nice. As for the butter, I usually go salted, it cuts through the sweetness.

But be aware, don't eat too many, cupcakes decorated with BC come out at around 550+ calories a piece! A cupcake a day = lots of added pounds on your hips.

I did wonder about adding Trex as some of the recipes on here use shortening which is similar I guess. No it doesn't sound gross & I have tasted bc made with just White Flora & it wasn't too bad. The girl that made it was vegan, but she had to add quite a bit of flavouring to it. I know what you mean about fattening cupcakes icon_lol.gif I was looking at the one in M&S & I think there was something like 15g of sat fat in one icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%