What's You Favorite Fondant?

Decorating By dcabrera Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 6:42pm by BeeBoos-8599_

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:20pm
post #31 of 45

Has anyone ever tried Massa Grischuna fondant SugarShack recommends?

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 12:20am
post #32 of 45

Satin Ice question -- how long does it last? I am tempted to order some, but I am concerned that it would go bad before I would use it all.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 12:34am
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CranberryClo

I use now - it's just easier than making MMF - but if I've got a lot of free time - MMF it is.

Ditto!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 12:46am
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktea

Has anyone ever tried Massa Grischuna fondant SugarShack recommends?

Yes and I hated it -- WAAAAAY too soft!!! It tore constantly. I really didn't like working with it.

On the other hand I LOVE JenniferMI's white chocolate fondant. Can you say "to die for"? icon_lol.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 12:49am
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

question -- how long does it last? I am tempted to order some, but I am concerned that it would go bad before I would use it all.

It lasts a really long time if it is sealed tightly(their wrap and bucket are great) and kept in a cool place, like a pantry. My Satin Ice is over 6 months old and still as fresh as day one. Wilton fondant, on the other hand seems to go rancid before I can get it home from the store.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:07am
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

Wilton fondant, on the other hand seems to go rancid before I can get it home from the store.

mmm hmm, thats cause it does icon_lol.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:37am
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulie

Is the fondarific colored? I cant figure out if it's colored to match the flavor, or if it's all white...
Oh, and I love ! It's great straight out of the bucket and if you order online, the price isnt bad at all. It's definitely worth it to me to have consistent workable fondant that I dont have to make myself icon_smile.gif

Fondariffic is colored to match the flavors, but you can get the buttercream and vanilla fondants in different colors.

I ordered some Fondariffic months back (2 sample buckets and 1 small of buttercream) and while I -loved- the taste, I would not use the flavored fondants on a cake. They taste too much like Starbursts/Skittles and don't taste right when on a full size cake. They are awesome on cookies and cupcake decorations tho. The buttercream and vanilla work great for all purpose.

Also, some flavors are better than others. The Cherry and Lemon were great...but the Chocolate Cherry and Tutti Frutti? Those were gross.

I could eat the Melon flavored fondant out of the bucket with a spoon. That stuff is happycrack! icon_lol.gif

Only thing I didn't like about Fondariffic is that the flavored fondants were very soft and hard to do molded decor with. I made roses and they got gloppy. Even with some gumpaste added in it never fully set up, and after a couple of days, even sealed in a cupboard, the flavored fondant started to form a waxy film. The buttercream fondant worked a lot like Satin Ice/Fondx and did not form a wax film.

If I wasn't so lazy I'd be using Fondariffic a lot more, but when I am in need of fondant I always run to the local cake store and get a tub of Satin Ice. Even though it is pricey, I think it's a worthy splurge when you want to do something a little different.

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:58pm
post #38 of 45

Thanks Bobwonderbuns thumbs_up.gif

Massa Grischuna too expensive to throw out!!

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:30pm
post #39 of 45

I think Fondex will be my new go to Fondant I have always used Satin Ice but I bought a bunch of Fondex at the Austin Cake Show and I really think the tast is way better!

Cruz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cruz Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:25am
post #40 of 45

mcalhoun, I am sooo jealous! I volunteered at the show and by the time I made it to their booth everything was gone.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:42am
post #41 of 45

Today I recieved my shipment of Fonderific fondant. I got the FREE sample pack and a 5 lb tub of buttercream flavored fondant. The flavor of this stuff is really good. They have 12 flavors available. I called and talked to the owner and asked her about using the product. It requires NO powdered sugar or corn starch for rolling out, gets rolled out to 1/16" thick and can even be frozen. The shelf life is 1 year. I wish I had found this product along time ago. The buttercream tastes just like the icing I make. I will be using it on a 3 tier cake next week and will let you all know how it performs.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:50am
post #42 of 45

I got my sample pack of Fondrific fondant. I tasted each sample, and while good, I prefer the taste of Satin Ice. I think it was really fun to try this out, but will stick with what I;m comfortable with!

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:29pm
post #43 of 45

OK, I just finished my first cake using Fondarific. I wanted to let you all know how it went. I ordered the Buttercream and the Strawberry flavors as well as a sample pack. They got here pretty fast. I could not find any information on working with the product so I gave them a call. They were GREAT at making sure I knew how thin to roll it, what to use when rolling it out and on how to re-soften the product (it was very hard when it arrived). I followed the direction she gave me and rolled the buttercream out to 1/8". I had horrible tearing and could see the shadowing through the fondant. Next tier was going to be covered in the strawberry which needed to be tinted a fushia color. I warmed it slightly in the microwave to soften it, kneaded it and added a bit of wilton gel. This was not a good result. It got very oily and lost all texture. It would also not turn fushia. It went to a very odd flesh orange color. It never regained its texture and was a total waste. I called them and again they were very helpfull. After talking we decided that the fruit flavors should not be tinted. They are working on the issue and are going to figure out what the problem is. She offered to send me a 5 lb of any flavor to replace it. I did a 3rd tier in buttercream again and tinted it light grey to be painted silver. It took the color great and when rolled a bit thicker covered very well. I would definately reccomend the product. The taste is great and that is what I have been looking for. The owner gave me her blessing to post my opinion. Give them a shot!

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:36pm
post #44 of 45

OK, finished my first cake in Fonderific. Had some issues but I must say that the comany was wonderfull and replaced the product that gave me trouble. I would say that is is not a good idea to try and color the fruit flavors. For some reason mine got oily when lightly warmed and would not regain the texture. The fruit flavors are pretty strong so I think they wold be great for flowers and embelishments. The buttercream is very nice. The company is working on a website that has more product information. Give them a chance. We need to support small companies in this financial climate.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:42pm
post #45 of 45

I cannot figure out why my posts are not showing up. If you can see them then I appologize for repeating myslef.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%