Help! Fondant Bow Dying!

Decorating By kjskid Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 8:58pm by KoryAK

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:21am
post #1 of 9

My fondant bow on my present cake went droopy overnight. The fondant is so brittle that it keeps breaking if I try to move it. Can I make a decent bow out of buttercream? Client will be here in 2-1/2 hours!

8 replies
Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:39am
post #2 of 9

If you have gumpaste,mix equal amounts with fondant & make another bow.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:49am
post #3 of 9

Make another bow, the best way to go. I'd use a bit more gumpaste than fondant, but do mix them together to make the bow less brittle.

kjskid Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:55am
post #4 of 9

I don't have gumpaste. I'm working on a new bow. How long does it take fondant to dry? It dried all day yesterday, but still drooped. Is it because I covered it last night?

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:05pm
post #5 of 9

Support the folds of the bow with balled up tin foil or wax paper or plastic wrap. Don't cover, you need the air to dry it. If you have a gas pilot in the oven open the door and set the bow inside (don't turn it on, just the pilot), that will help. I've never tried a bow with just fondant, so I don't know how long it needs to be able to support itself, and be considered dry.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 9

if u add tylose or GP to the fondnat it will dry enough to hold its shape in a few hours. it needs to be open to air to dry

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 9

Yes, covering it was a bad idea. It will not be able to dry and may absorb moisture from the cake and icing. Add tylose or even just more PS if you have nothing else. You can also use melted chocolate for a really quick finish bow.

kjskid Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 9

Wouldn't not covering it dry out the rest of the cake though? It must have absorbed the moisture from the cake, b/c the fondant was *definitely* dry when I made the bow.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 9

Perhaps. If that is the case then you would need to place the bow a little bit before pickup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%