Fondant Vs Gum Paste

Decorating By AverageMom Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 8:50pm by lchris

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:31am
post #1 of 18

I've just (in the last 2 days!) started getting into cake decorating, and so far I love it. I have only worked with fondant, and I am wondering what the difference between it and gum paste is, as far as making small decorations goes. I have made a number of fondant flowers and leaves, and it seems to be working fine. Is it worth it to buy some gum paste at this point?

17 replies
kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:52am
post #2 of 18

Hello,
From what I understand, gumpaste is a bit more pliable and buys you some time (doesn't dry out as fast.) I usually just use fondant, because personally I'm too lazy to mix that can with water that's under my cupboard (I'm serious... I have an unopened can of gumpaste powder waiting for me to revive it). icon_rolleyes.gif

Mixing equal parts fondant and gumpaste seems to work for lots of people too.

I hope that helps, and I also hope you are enjoying decorating! I was instantly HOOKED ~ icon_smile.gif

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:31am
post #3 of 18

Ummmm...actually, its fondant that doesn't dry out as fast!!

However, if you mix gumpaste and fondant 50/50, you get the best of both worlds!! You get more time to mold, and you also end up with a nice hard figure once it dries.

Straight fondant doesnt dry hard, and can "wilt". Gumpaste will completely hold its shape! Good Good stuff!! icon_biggrin.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:36am
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsi

Ummmm...actually, its fondant that doesn't dry out as fast!!

icon_redface.gif thanks for correcting me.

Sarsi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:41am
post #5 of 18

Yup Yup Yup!!! Yuppity Yup!!!! Ooooookay....I think it just might be bedtime for me!! LOL

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:50am
post #6 of 18

Great tip about mixing the fondant and the gum paste ~ thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Sarsi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:54am
post #7 of 18

Yeah!! I love doing that!! However, if you need to make something very thin...say...some flower petals...straight gumpaste works the best as you can roll it out thinner than the fondant!!

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:06am
post #8 of 18

Thanks, everybody!! I think it is just the "lazy" thing for me, so far. The idea of mixing up yet another thing, just to see how it works, is not worth it.
And yes, I am fully, totally hooked. Already. I sense a long term issue here.

Sarsi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:16am
post #9 of 18

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! One more cake decorator hooked!!! BWAAAAHAHAHA!!! You're doomed!! Doomed!!

LOL...wow, I really really really need to go to sleep!! My hubby's been asleep for almost 2 hours....and here I am...creeping everyone out on CC!!! Shame on me!! Sorry ya'll for having to deal with me!! icon_redface.gif

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:18am
post #10 of 18

Sarsi ~ I have to admit ~ you're pretty darn funny at 2 am! icon_lol.gif

Sarsi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:26am
post #11 of 18

LOL!!! Either funny or creapy....I don't know!! icon_smile.gif I do tend to get very slap happy late at night...hence the hubby goes to sleep probably!!! LOL!!! HAHAHAHAA

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:38am
post #12 of 18

I think if you are comfortable with fondant, then stick with it. You may eventually find yourself needing to use gumpaste if you want to make pieces that are really thin or otherwise need to be not so fragile (my fondant pieces tend to break into bits when dry) as mentioned above. Flowers, larger characters (see Remy in my avatar? There is no WAY that would have worked in fondant, he would have never dried properly), etc.

If you are hesitant to mix up something else, just buy the premade gumpaste (if you decide to use it at some point) and knead it in 50/50 with your fondant. Or else, you could buy tylose powder to sprinkle into your fondant (that's what Aine2 uses...I know you are a newbie but you will understand who I mean shortly! thumbs_up.gif)...if that is not easy to find, you can get gum-tex wherever your buy Wilton products. Sprinkling that stuff in helps your figures harden better.

Sarsi Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:43am
post #13 of 18

ceshell- oh really? I didn't know you could use gum-tex for that reason...LOL...I've looked at it on the shelves wondering if that would work, but just never knew before, so thanks so much for saying that here!! I don't think you're ever done learning when you're a CC member!!!

mamabrat13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabrat13 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 6:48am
post #14 of 18

Thanks for this info about the gum-tex. What else can it be used for? is there a difference I'm assuming between it and the gum paste mix?

ceshell Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 7:56am
post #15 of 18

I only use gum-tex to help my fondant dry hard...you'd have to read the can to see its true purpose LOL. You're welcome for the tip. Hmm...I wonder where I myself learned about that a few years ago...icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

As for other uses, I think you mix it with one of their other products to get more pliable gumpaste. I could be wrong about that but no, it is not the same as straight gumpaste mix.

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:05pm
post #16 of 18

Ok, let me see if I have this straight.

You can use gum-tex powder sprinkled into fondant to make it harden like you would use tylose powder?

ceshell Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 7:59pm
post #17 of 18

Yes, you sure can! There are lots of threads about that, you can search the forums for Gum-Tex or gumtex...although you will get results for every thread that contains the word "gum". (Hm, how many threads really mention "gum" anyway icon_rolleyes.gif.) I don't know for sure but I'm betting it's not it's quite as great as tylose, but it definitely does the job. I even got a "gift box cake" lid to harden properly, using MMF and gumtex, and it helps a lot for figures too.

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 8:50pm
post #18 of 18

Thanks, good to know!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%