Should I...offer A Lower-Price Cake Option??

Business By Chef_Stef Updated 16 May 2009 , 8:18am by 350BakerStreet

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:19pm
post #91 of 95

I'm pretty sure that a "server" cake is the same as a "kitchen" cake, where it's just for serving and not presentation. "Slab" cake is a new one to me icon_smile.gif

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:24am
post #92 of 95

Thanks for your help. I think I meant sheet cake. I happened to look at another thread and found someone asking the same questions.

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 16 May 2009 , 5:34am
post #93 of 95

Sheesh! To think that I have customers that won't pay $150 dollars for a fondant sculpted baby shower cake, or a minimum $200 for a wedding cake....

Get lots of calls. they send the photos of what they would like, I give them an estimate, and they never call back.

Something I said?

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 16 May 2009 , 6:36am
post #94 of 95

save

350BakerStreet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
350BakerStreet Posted 16 May 2009 , 8:18am
post #95 of 95

No prob icon_wink.gif

Ya know, I got handed a customer from a fellow decorator and she wanted a princess-themed cake for thirty people. I quoted her $90, which I thought was totally fair considering it was covered in fondant with ribbon roses, rope borders, 2nd-tier pillow cake, and royal icing tiara....she said her budget was between $30-50, and would only pay $50 if it was really really good! OMG! I did it anyways, not 'cause I'm a sap, but because I NEED more cakes in my portfolio and I hate making them for free. Might as well get enough to cover my materials, right? So I finished it today (I told her she'd have to pick it up) and it turned out fabulous if I do say so myself. Definitely worth the effort to get the pictures icon_smile.gif I don't know where these people get their cakes from, but I know I don't want to be workin' just to cover my materials forever. It probably would have been a $150 cake. oh well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%