Nc Homebased Businesses (Others Can Chime In Too)

Business By duchess1120 Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 1:24pm by Rexy

duchess1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duchess1120 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 7

What advice can you give someone wanting to open a homebased decorating business (probably in an apartment). I live in a city of about 50,000. The average person goes to Wal-mart, Harris Teeter, Foodlion, etc.

There is a small demand for specialty cakes and those willing to pay. The bakeries make the sheet and wedding cakes to but not like what you see on Food Network TV (which is what I want to make) just more custom made.

I realilze I'll have to go to a larger city for clientelle that is willing to pay for the purse cakes, pillow cakes, etc.

Any advice?

6 replies
Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:23pm
post #2 of 7

Well it's not hard to do in NC. Contact the dept of Agriculture but I would check and see if there are any rules with my apartment complex. I work out of my house.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 7

The NC department of Ag inspection is a joke. As long as you don't have well water and don't have an indoor pet they will pass you. Your only restrictions will those imposed by your landlords and any neighborhood covenants.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:01am
post #5 of 7

Hi--
I'm in High Point and I teach a business class that covers all aspects
of the 'caking' business. Additional info is on my website, www.crawfordscreations.com. Hope you'll join us!!

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:37am
post #6 of 7

DDiva's "caking business" class is awesome. I've taken it and learned a lot about NC's rules & regulations for home-based bakeries. Worth the money, she is a fountain of knowledge. If you are in an apartment, I would check with your landlord as well as the city regulations/zoning on a business.
Leslie

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 7

Hey ddiva, I'm definitely interested in some information regarding your class on home based businesses. For some reason I couldn't get anything from your website. Could you pm me?
Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%