Non Gritty Buttercream...does It Exist? Is There A Trick?

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 18 May 2009 , 3:47am by 1cupcake

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:46pm
post #31 of 52

It's my understanding that the 2 # bags you buy @ the stores are 10x, and the 50#bags of Domino/imperial/whatever are 6x. The bulk kind that I buy are not as soft as the 2#bags, and sometimes chunky, but it's never affected my icing, I just beat all the lumps out w/my KA, doesn't require any extra time or effort.

strawberrygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberrygirl Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:51pm
post #32 of 52

I am wondering if it is the weather. I live in Texas I have used CH, Domino, and store brand ps and have had it turn out wonderul and smooth sometimes, and turn out gritty at other times. I normally use Crisco as my shortening due to the fact I didn't like the taste of the store brand I tried once. I have yet to figure out what causes it to be gritty. I have noticed that a bag of powdered sugar I had bought had a diffrent texure to it, like moisture had gotten into it somehow. I ended up using it for something else and not making icing out of it.

I have heard that if you are using a bag of powdered sugar that was previously opened, you should sift it. However, if this is happening everytime you are making bc, then I am guessing you are using new bags most of the time.

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:55pm
post #33 of 52

Hi,
I am not an expert ,But.... even though I was told I dont have to sift the 10x ... I still do.
And when I do, I get litte granules at the bottom ALL the time. Maybe this could help ???
I'm not sure if someone suggested that allready or not.
Sorry if they did. But it helps me.

Mary N icon_smile.gif

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:57pm
post #34 of 52

That's weird - I've never had any problems with my PS being gritty or issues with moisture, even when I lived in a humid area. However, I always put my PS in an airtight container rather than storing it in the bag.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:04pm
post #35 of 52

I actually use the 4# bags from Costco. 50# would last me forever and with the 4# bags I don't have to measure them, just use the whole bag.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:06pm
post #36 of 52

I have had trouble with a little grit...I really think that it is the brand of PS. If I use all CH it is better than using store brand...so I use a bag of both!! And mix very well on low or med. I also use Indy's BC and have wondered if it is the dream whip powder...but again I think it is the PS brand...JMO

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:15pm
post #37 of 52

Hmmm... this is very interesting. I've never had trouble and I use off brand powder sugar. Very interesting. I wonder if it's because I use cream cheese in mine which I haven't heard mentioned yet..... hmmmmm. Food of thought I guess.

marriedtoagreek74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marriedtoagreek74 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:25pm
post #38 of 52

I didn't read all the posts to see if it's been said but try SMBC it's not gritty, doesn't use powdered sugar!

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:39pm
post #39 of 52

Yeah, I would be interested in hearing what C&H/Domino says about 10x. Nothing like getting it from the horses mouth. I haven't seen 4# powdered sugar at my Costco. I buy the 50# and keep it in my freezer. But then again, my Costco doesn't even have unsalted butter.

I use Melvira's smoothing method, so I need the crusting BC. Maybe when I get a little better at smoothing I will be able to do it without the roller. (SMBC here I come!!)

Thanks for all the input!

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:15pm
post #40 of 52

Okay, first off, thanks to everyone who replied and offered up your advise.

I called my Costco and they use Michigan Sugar or Imperial Sugar as their supplier. I can't remember for the life of me which one I've purchased in the past. All I know is it was a huge bag that I dumped into a plastic container with a cover. Of course I used all of it and have just been too busy to get to my Costco. The bag did say it was 10x, if I recall correctly. I bought some once at GFS and didn't realize it was 6x so I know I wouldn't have bought 6x at Costco. So, I have a cake to make this weekend and I am going to hunt down C&H or Domino PS and see if that makes a difference. And for the record, you can't buy the Domino PS online, it is not available, but they do have regular sugar :LOL:

Again, thanks for all your help.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:17pm
post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedtoagreek74

I didn't read all the posts to see if it's been said but try SMBC it's not gritty, doesn't use powdered sugar!

I can't use SMBC or IMBC. It contains eggs and due to an egg allergy I can't make it. But thanks for the suggestion.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:39pm
post #42 of 52

Try this...
1 stick softened butter
4 oz. softened cream cheese
2 cups crisco
2 lbs. powder sugar
Flavor

Mix butter and cream cheese until thoroughly combined.
Add flavor, crisco and powder sugar in small increments.
Mix on medium for at least 5 minutes or longer.

This crusts and is not gritty.

confectioneista Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:05pm
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

And for the record, you can't buy the Domino PS online, it is not available, but they do have regular sugar :LOL:

Ah, you are right about that! I just got so excited at the idea of being able to buy baking food items online! LOL

And as soon as I hear back from C&H, I'll post on here! Together, we shall overcome! icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:39pm
post #44 of 52

I love the WBH House BC recipe using the hot water and hi-ratio (I use Alpine). It is never gritty and I use Domino's 10x PS.

However, using the same ingredients in Buttercream Dream, I get grittiness no matter what I do.

I think the hot water is the trick.

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:58pm
post #45 of 52

OK, I had this recipe from an old church cookbook called "Creamy Frosting" and thought it was a little weird because you cooked milk and flour. It is just like allie73's recipe except you use 5T. of flour, cool to room temp, and remove the skin. It was in my "to try" folder and once I saw it from allie73, I thought I'd try it. Well it was great! It is very similar to SMBC: light, creamy, not gritty, but didn't leave you feeling like you just ate a mouthful of shortening! I will admit next time I want to try adding meringue powder...just to see if that will "crust it". What to you think?

confectioneista Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:58pm
post #46 of 52

Cool Beans! I finally got an answer from C&H about their powdered sugar. Here is the email that I received:

Dear Ronny:

Thank you for your interest in our confectioners' sugar and for taking the time to contact C&H Sugar Co. Yes, our powdered sugar is 10X.

Here is the explanation from our Technical Department:
"C & H Sugar does not use the X-designations for the grist of its powdered sugar products because there are no universally agreed upon X-standards, nor is there an official method for powdered sugar particle size distribution sanctioned by AOAC, ICUMSA, or the National Formulary.

Although the number of X's on a powdered sugar label is not a reliable indicator of the degree of fineness, the grist of C & H Powdered Sugar confirms closely to a typical sieve analysis for 10X products."

Best regards,

Connie C. Hunter, C&H Sugar Co.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:30am
post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoqeen

OK, I had this recipe from an old church cookbook called "Creamy Frosting" and thought it was a little weird because you cooked milk and flour. It is just like allie73's recipe except you use 5T. of flour, cool to room temp, and remove the skin. It was in my "to try" folder and once I saw it from allie73, I thought I'd try it. Well it was great! It is very similar to SMBC: light, creamy, not gritty, but didn't leave you feeling like you just ate a mouthful of shortening! I will admit next time I want to try adding meringue powder...just to see if that will "crust it". What to you think?

Hello Tomatoqeen,

Can you email me that old church book recipe?

Thank you,

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:31am
post #48 of 52

hi,
i am like you, i could never get rid of the grainy problem no matter what i did. then i found the whimsical bakehouse recipe and wa-la! very smooth and good tasting. just make sure to whip the water and sugar together until cool and then make sure you whip for the full 20 minutes once the butter/shortening are added and then you can frost your cakes immediately. i torte my cakes while the bc is whipping so it is not lost time.
diane

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:38am
post #49 of 52

Drakegore...what is the whimsical bakehouse recipe. Can you email to [email protected], does it crust....thanks

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:39am
post #50 of 52

sorry me isn't part of my email....just [email protected]

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 11:38am
post #51 of 52

I've had made 4 batches of BC that turned out too gritty. It literally felt like there was sand in it. I figured out that the best way to get the grittiness off is to add more milk and to keep beating it. Although it was too fluffy, It still worked for me.

1cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1cupcake Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:47am
post #52 of 52

I think I've sort of accepted that frosting made with powdered sugar will be gritty. Even the one from whimsical bakehouse isn't as smooth as SMBC or IMBC. I think it has to do with personal preference. A lot of frostings that I complain are too gritty are fine for my mom or other people.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%