~Help~My 12" Round Cracked.....and Its The Base.....

Decorating By BerdaBelle Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 7:15pm by BROOKSIE007

BerdaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BerdaBelle Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 8

I am doing a wedding cake and the bottom layer is a 12 in round. It split all the way across the middle, my fault, when I was flipping it out of the pan (I use 2 cooling racks) and the one got stuck on the other one....anyhow...it split! Can I still use it or should I bake another. It will be a double 12 in. round bottom with 3 more layer cakes on top.

Do you think it will still be stable enough if I use it on the bottom?

Thanks for your help icon_sad.gif

7 replies
Edibleconcept Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edibleconcept Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:38am
post #2 of 8

IMHO, your cake is salvageable. Just make sure the cracked pieced is "glued" back with BC in between. Next let that cracked piece be the actual bottom of the other layers. If you are planning on using dowel rods, please do. Lastly freeze it before & after frosting it. HTH! It's gonna be okay. thumbs_up.gif

BerdaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BerdaBelle Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:49am
post #3 of 8

I am kinda nervous about using it, my dh said I should just bake another one. I honestly think it would be okay....but hate to take the chance. I will probably just bake another one and salvage that one for my son's bday cake next weekend, I can use pieces of it.

Thanks for your replyicon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 8

To me when I crack a layer, I'm not concerned about the stability of it because it's my support system that holds the weight of the layers above, not the cake layer itself.

Having said that, I am more concerned about the overall aesthetic look of the cake when it's cut and served. I don't want some of the slices to look all "patched up", especially if it's a Wedding cake.

If you have a use for this layer next weekend anyway, I'd wrap it well and freeze it.
I'd bake another, but that's just me.....it would bother me too, especially if it's cracked right in half.

Good Luck,

You may want to use a larger cooling rack to flip out your large layers, don't use 2 together, get 1 large one.

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 8

For a tiered cake, make sure that you dowel that bottom each so that the other tiers aren't actually resting on each other, but have support from the bottom up. That will help with stability more than anything.

As dkelly said though, if the crack is really bad, you don't want the cake to fall apart when it's cut into slices. If you think that will happen, baking another cake might be worth it.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 8

I agree exactly with DKelly. Wedding slices are so small and that crack might make it difficult to cut and the appearance would be questionable once served. I've glued together sheet cakes before that cracked on me and they were always fine but if you have a use for it next weekend... just save it and start fresh.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 8

I would bake another one for the same reasons mentioned above...and for peace of mind!!

BROOKSIE007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BROOKSIE007 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 8

It has happened to me! I just stick them together on the plate you will be using. When you ice use a little bit thicker icing than you normally would and ise plenty of doel rods to keep the top weight off as much as possibe. You shouldnt have any problems. I never have! Good luck and go with what you feel is right for you! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%