What???little Miss Cake Expert Wants Me To Make A Cake.....

Decorating By shelly-101 Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 9:10am by lostincake

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:32pm
post #31 of 37

Ok, I have to jump in with my POV, because I know no one in happy until I've butted in! Hahahah! icon_rolleyes.gif Now, this is just how I see it, take it for what it's worth...

...this lady turned her nose up, sniffed, made rude comments, etc. On the inside she was dying with jealousy. She knew she could never be you, that no one would ever think she was as talented as you, and she hated that. She wanted to be you!

Fast forward, she is planning this party, probably going all out, and she wants an awesome cake. She knows where she can get one, but she knows after everything she said, she's going to look like a hag asking you to do it. So she comes up with the fact that she's SO dang busy. Yah, that'll work. Then it sounds like she wouldn't normally come to you, but she is just so slammed, you know? Now she can get the cake she wants without looking bad, or feeling bad.

Honestly, I'd quote her the fair price you'd give anyone, and let it ride. Chances are you're going to make an amazing cake, and in her heart of hearts she's still going to be jealous, but she's going to appreciate the affect you had on her kid's birthday. She might even show you some love for it. HOWEVER, having said that. I would take a few precautions such as payment in advance, signed contract stating that no refunds will be given unless there is a massive structural oversight on your part, and that once the cake leaves your possession it is no longer your responisbility. All those little things that bad customers try to use. Also state that refunds will not be given on eaten cake. If something is wrong, the WHOLE cake must be returned for any kind of refund. You can just smile at her and say this is your normal contract because you've 'heard terrible stories about problem customers' from your comrades, and want to avoid any problems like that.

And if you think she's going to take credit for an awesome cake, let her. Just put one of your business cards on the cake board, covered in plastic, and she will look like an @ss when people see it, but you've done nothing wrong. Might even get some future business from other kiddie's moms.

And hey, what's all this talk about not being superwoman? Aren't we ALL super women?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 3:54pm
post #32 of 37

Exactly what Melvira said icon_smile.gif

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:46pm
post #33 of 37

First off, Fondant isnt easy to work with,and your cakes are beautiful! A few of them are in my favs. I would tell her you dont have time. I think shes just jealous anyway. My sister in law does the same thing about making rude commints about my cakes, I have to blow it off cause shes family, but I know I didnt make her kids a cake this year! The last time I did she also baught a cake from foodland, which was insulting to say the least. I would RUN fast.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:20pm
post #34 of 37

First, are you legal baker? If yes, then I liked what Melvira had to say. Who knows why she too busy, it doesn't matter. Get the contract clear- no refunds barring the cake splits and hurls itself on to the floor before it leaves your house. If it decides to commit 'cakiscide' after it leaves your control, not your problem. Get the details nailed down and in writing with her intials for approval. Give her a copy when she picks up the cake.

However, if you are not legal; don't touch it with ten foot pole.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 9:50pm
post #35 of 37

I just think that someone like this isn't worth dealing with. We all have enough problems to deal with in general, why buy trouble? If you did a cake for her you'd be waiting for the other shoe to drop the whole time...Not worth the mental effort, IMO.

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:30am
post #36 of 37

If I was in your position, I probably wouldn't do it. It sounds like she can be hard to please, or she just enjoys criticizing. From what you said about her, I got the impression that if you would do it, she would say some s#!* like "Thanks for doing it. You're a life saver. And the cake was nice, but..." and criticize it somehow. And if you have mutual friends, she might even nitpick and complain about the cake behind your back! But that's just me, maybe I'm overthinking it.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:10am
post #37 of 37

If she was saying all those nasty things because she was jealous, then maybe she's a great mother for swallowing her pride and asking you to make the cake anyway.

Just playing devil's advocate here.

And I agree with indydebi, we don't know what her reasons are for not being able to do her daughter's cake. It also crossed my mind that maybe she was going through some type of family tragedy or such (then saw Butterpatty's post which shows it's a possibility). It could also be she knows she cannot do one as nice as yours and wants her daughter's cake to be the best regardless of her pride.

Personally if it were me, I would probably ask (very matter of factly) why she isn't able to make it herself and as armywifebryan pointed out, it would help decide if I do it or not.

Also, she may not be able to take credit if the cake is of obviously better caliber than she normally produces (assuming those at the party have already sampled and seen her previous 4 years worth of creations?). :p

JMHO icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%