Piping Writing On Sides Of Cake...help!

Decorating By susanscakecreations Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 4:56pm by indydebi

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 12

I need help/advice.........anything...........I am going to be doing a cake
(a semi truck cake) next weekend; and I need to pipe some writing on the side of the truck.............my question is, would it be better to use royal icing or colored piping gel? I have ordered some of the mini pastry bags, and hopefully this will help too.
So what do you do to get the best results?

Thanks!
Susan

11 replies
KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 12

Personally I've always used the same buttercream that I've used to frost the cake, and a real steady hand.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 12

Here's a bump. My piping is horrible and I can't imagine trying to pipe on the side of a cake. icon_smile.gif

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 12

I find the piping gel a little runny for the sides of a cake. I'm with kellbell22....I also use my regular buttercream. Royal Icing would also be perfect.

starcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starcitycakes Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 12

I made one a few months ago and I used regular royal icing. It stayed attached to the fondant I used. However, it ended up being what I thought was a Cake Disaster. It was my second ever sculpted cake and second ever to use fondant. I used two loaf pans to make my tanker and it just looked horrible to me. Luckily it was for my step-dad and he was just happy that I made it. icon_lol.gif

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 12

Have you considered the pin prick method for writing on the side of the truck? Simply use b/c or ri.

I've used it on different things and was very happy with the results. Just a suggestion.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 12

I write on the sides all the time. Just get to eye-level and do it. I use the same bc I normally do with all other writing. K'ly

susanscakecreations Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritswife

Have you considered the pin prick method for writing on the side of the truck? Simply use b/c or ri.

I've used it on different things and was very happy with the results. Just a suggestion.

I've never thought about the pin prick method!!!!!!!!!
That sounds like a fantastic idea!!!!!!!
Thanks!!!!!

susanscakecreations Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:44pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

Here's a bump. My piping is horrible and I can't imagine trying to pipe on the side of a cake. icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone, I think I will try practicing with the royal icing and the pin prick method! My piping/writing isn't the greatest, and I need all the practice I can get! I have tried using my regular bc, but I guess it's just me.......I think it always looks too thick..........well, wish me luck, and thanks again for all the wonderful info!!!

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 12

I had to do this recently. I covered part of a cake dummy with Glad press'n seal and practiced for a bit first. I got down eye level with a cake and used a parchment bag, which gave me better control.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:01pm
post #11 of 12

UGhh I'm so bad about pipping on sides too.....I once did a carved thomas the train cake formmy little nephew (who loved the cake because he was only turning 3 yrs. old and at that age any cake looks good I guess LOL) .....anyway I loved everything about the cake, I was really proud of it until I had to pipe the lines and details onto the sides....UGH UGH It turned out to be a diseaster!!!! I told my self if I ever do a cake that needs pipping on the sides i'm going to have to use RI! That's what I hate about myself is that my hands are not stedy enough I guess plus I live in KY and it was summer so the BC was too soft.....hot hands etc. ugh I cringe just thinking about that cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:56pm
post #12 of 12

I use BC for everything. Not sure what RI is actually used for because I never use it for anything on a cake. I use BC for borders, flowers, writing, stringwork ... everything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%