Adjusting Recipe For A Bigger Tin??

Decorating By mina_mina Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 4:26am by mina_mina

mina_mina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mina_mina Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 7:43am
post #1 of 5

hi again icon_smile.gif
i have this white choc mud cake recipe i'd like to try but i wanna use a bigger tin and im not sure how to adjust the recipe and the cooking time.
recipe says to use 8 in square tin and i wanna make it in 10 in square tin.
the cooking time is 1 hour and 40 minutes for 8 in.
i don't know if i should double the recipe and cooking time ????
can i anyone help me out?
cheers.....

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 10:07am
post #2 of 5

id maybe go for an extra quarter, or half ,of the recipie. as for time, it will take longer (probably want to put a flower nail in the bottom to try and help it bake evenly and a bit faster), but i would keep an eye on it anyway.
xx

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 10:14am
post #3 of 5

here is a simply math answer for you:
10in square has 1.25 times the volume of 8in square. This means for you that the batter amount for 2in high pan comes about 1 1/2in high, for 3in high pan about 2 1/2 high.

If you can live with this - don't change anything.

For the "right" amount of batter you need 1/4 recipe more. I would slightly lower the baking temperature, bake for 1 hour and 40 minutes and then watch it as you bake it longer (set timer for 5-10min and peak in the oven).

micay23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micay23 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 5

Hi mina_mina I was just reading this thread and you mentioned that you have a mud cake recipe. If it's not much of a trouble, can you give me or post a recipe of your mud cake here on CC? I've been looking for a mud cake recipe for some time now and I still haven't found one yet. Thank you and have a great day!

mina_mina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mina_mina Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:26am
post #5 of 5

thanks so much for your help. i think im going to make 1/4 of the recipe on top of the normal recipe and hopefully it will turn out good.
ohh and one more question about the recipe icon_smile.gif the recipe say 3 eggs , would it be ok if i put 4 eggs?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%