Coloring Your Buttercream

Decorating By Reganlynn Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 1:41pm by Reganlynn

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 2:35am
post #1 of 5

I have a question. How do you color your buttercream? Do you add the color and mix it while it's still in the mixer, or do you transfer to a bowl and stir in the color?

I have been afraid to do it in the mixer, will it stain my paddle or bowl? I haven't had the best luck doing it by hand, I always see blobs of darker color here and there and I don't like it.

Thank You!

4 replies
shelli72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelli72 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 2:47am
post #2 of 5

If I need a large of the same color I will mix in right in the bowl with the paddle. If I only need a small amount I will transfer it to a smaller bowl and mix by hand. You need to work it until you don't see any streaks.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 2:50am
post #3 of 5

What Shelli said. That's how I do it too. It's a bit labour intensive by hand, but you have to work it until all the white spots are gone.

I use gel colours in my KA mixer all the time, and it has never stained my bowl or the paddle mixer.

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 3:44am
post #4 of 5

If I mix by hand, I do it in a small tupperware- type container and use a rubber spatula. it's much more time efficient than doing it with a knife or spoon.

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 5

Thank You! My big concern was staining the mixing the bowl and paddle with the color. It's good to know that it won't stain, that makes things easier when doing big batches of the same color.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%