How Do I Do The Lid For This Toolbox Cake?

Decorating By perfectcakebyshirley Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 6:36pm by perfectcakebyshirley

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 7

I saw this cake in the gallery by bakerfairy, and I want to make it, but I'm not sure how to do the lid. It looks like a layer of cake, but how do I prop it up, and keep it from sliding off the back?
LL

6 replies
nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 7

I did this cake. more than once. And I covered styrofoam with fondant. I am sure it could be out of cake. But, the styrofoam is easiest.

Hope this helps

nancyg

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 7

i was going to say the same thing, styro would be alot easier, and firmer and better at being supported. I suppose you could use cake if you REALLY wanted to, but just to make sure its well well supported with something or other, i dont imagine dowels would do the job well enough without causing weak spots n making it sag

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 1:43am
post #4 of 7

I don't see why you couldn't use cake. It's not on too big of a slant. Just make sure you glue it to the board with some frosting. Seems to me it work out just fine.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 2:07am
post #5 of 7

I used cake when I made my jewelry box lid. I put the cake on a board and doweled on the back through to the bottom board. I think I used two one at each end. the dowels holding the lid open were about an inch taller than the bottom cake. they were also on each end about in the center. I transported it about 7 miles to work with no problems. It's not in my pics but the shoebox is and it is similar.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 6:09am
post #6 of 7

I just made a treasure chest to go on top of a cake, and I used rice krispie treats to make the lid. I stuck it in the fridge after I molded it, then smoothed on a layer of buttercream and then put the fondant on. I stuck a dowel through the bottom of the chest to prop it open. You could put the RKT on a board since the toolbox lid is big, for extra stability.

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 7

I hadn't thought about using styrofoam - that's a good idea for me, especially since it needs to travel quite a bit. Thanks for all the replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%