Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By Tasmin Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 7:32am by Tasmin

Tasmin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tasmin Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 10

Urms i tried making some Homemade marshmallow fondant recently and it was kind of..too sweet.This is the recipe i used

16 oz. White mini marshmallows (use a good quality brand)

2-5 tbsp. Water

2 lbs. Icing sugar (please use C&H Cane Powdered Sugar for the best results)

1/2 cup Crisco shortening (you will be digging into it, so place in a very easily accessed bowl)

Is it possible if i cut down the amount of Icing Sugar To Around 1lbs?Will it affect the fondant?

9 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 10

I'm not quite sure what you needed 1/2 c. shortening for....i line my bowl with crisco before I nuke the marshmellows. I use an entire 2lb bag of PS. I also add some flavoring extracts, but I'm not why yours is "too" sweet. Mine is not. Maybe some else can give some insight.

Sweet-Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Kakes Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 10

If you cut down the amount of ps, your fondant will be sticky and hard to work with. Try desolving about 1/8 of a tsp of salt in the water you add to your fondant. I find that a pinch of salt (which must be completely dissolved in water before using) cuts the sweetness and enhances the flavor. Hope this helps!! thumbs_up.gif

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 10

You have to use all the sugar requird otherwise it will not be the consistancy you need.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 10

Better then trying to cut the amount of sugar, cut the sweetness. Instead of water, either use straight lemon juice (if the slight discoloring isn't problem for you, or use citric acid solution.

ashk36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashk36 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 10

When I made this same recipe, I found that I had too much sugar and didn't use it all. I didn't really love the taste, but I didn't add a flavor to it because I wasn't sure what the bday girl wanted. It was kind of a last minute thing though. I don't remember it being too sweet...then again this was nearly a year ago and I have trouble remembering last week!

And ddaigle, the 1/2c of crisco is just an estimate they give of what you'll need on your hands. If you don't coat your hands completely in crisco when you make this, you'll never get the marshmallow off! But I do remember my hands were super soft after I was done...

Tasmin Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:34am
post #7 of 10

Urms i could felt sugar bits in my mouth when i ate the cake...any idea why or where have i gone wrong?

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:57am
post #8 of 10

Did you sift the sugar? Maybe you used to much... Maybe you needed to knead it a bit more.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 6:12am
post #9 of 10

I use Lemon extract in mine also and a dash of popcorn salt.

Tasmin Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:32am
post #10 of 10

oh i didnt sift the sugar no wonder i felt sugar bits ....On my cake and buttercream...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%