Darker Chocolate Frosting? Help Please!

Decorating By jaybug Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm by ski

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 16

Can someone please tell me how to get my chocolate buttercream to a dark brown? icon_cry.gif Thanks

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 16

add brown food coloring

jaybug Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 16

I've already added some brown coloring. Maybe I need to add alot more? icon_redface.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 16

yep. I wanted a darker brown once and thought I'd add black to it .... uh, that turns it black-ish, not brown. icon_redface.gif So don't try that one.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 16

Try and and add some cocoa powder. If you get the Dutch process cocoa it is very dark brown, the regular cocoa is a bit more brick coloured.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 16

Now it is late already. Next time exchange in your buttercream part of the sugar for dark cocoa - you get brown buttercream and don't need as much food coloring.

zamku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zamku Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 16

Add some dark cocoa powder (100% cocoa, not cocoa drink which has some milk solids and sugar in it) . It turns a nice dark brown and gives a yummy chocolate taste.
You also may need to reduce sugar in your buttercream and add melted dark chocolate to it to balance the taste and texture.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 16

I went through that whole dark brown chocolate thing myself. I kept adding brown food coloring, wanting the dark color with fresh BC dark, not realizing that it turns much darker as it crusts up. Just adding a bag of melted semi-sweets gives me a dark icing without food coloring. But you wouldn't think so by looking at it right away.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 16

When I make chocolate buttercream, I use my regular recipe, then add as much cocoa as I need to get whatever color I want. If you're going for a dark chocolate it may take 1/2 the container of cocoa or more depending on how much frosting you have. You will have to add more milk or water to your frosting to compensate.

pam29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pam29 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:49pm
post #10 of 16

I ran into the same problem once and I needed darker brown fast, brown coloring didn't work and a run to the store was not an option. I had some store bought chocolate fudge frosting on hand, I added that to my homemade chocolate buttercream and it worked great. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:57pm
post #11 of 16

Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder does it every time!

jaybug Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:01pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks eveyone for such quick responses. Since I've already made my frosting do you think it would be okay to add the special dark cocoa to it or will it be too chocolate? icon_rolleyes.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:06pm
post #13 of 16

Wait....whats too much chocolate????
Seriously, yes, just add until you get the color you want and as I said you may need more liquid.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:28pm
post #14 of 16

No such thing as too much chocolate! I say just go for it! If you use dry cocoa I would sift it together with a little powdered sugar to stop it from clumping, then add it to your BC with a little more liquid until you get the right consistency.

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:03pm
post #15 of 16

Add some black to your icing slowly until you get the color you want. Brown is basically red and black anyway. Usually there is a red tint already in the icing so you can darken it with the black. Also I have added some green to get certain hues.

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm
post #16 of 16

Add some black to your icing slowly until you get the color you want. Brown is basically red and black anyway. Usually there is a red tint already in the icing so you can darken it with the black. Also I have added some green to get certain hues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%