Help! Need To Know

Decorating By amberlee416 Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 10:25pm by majka_ze

amberlee416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlee416 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 6

Can royal icing keep? like can i put it in an airtight container until later tonight then use it?? I got called into work right after i made a batch and i dont want it to go to waste, i know that it dries fairly quickly when left out but will it still be ok to use tonight? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but i dont use royal icing very much and when i do i use it right away. TIA

5 replies
rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 6

yep, just seal it up well...I am always paranoid and I put a piece of plastic wrap over the bottom part of the container and then pop on the top. I haven't had any problems even after a few days. Give a good mix before you use it. HTH...

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 6

i think it should be fine if its all sealed up!
xx

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 6

I put my extra in a ziplock bag and press out the air and seal it. When you need it you can just cut off a corner and place it right in your decorating bag.

GingerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GingerCakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 6

Yes seal it well, and you may have to add a tiny bit of water, you'll know.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 6

As long as it is airtight sealed, it will keep up to week (in fridge).
Sometimes it is even better to let royal icing stand a few hours - sealed, of course. Most of the mixed-in air will leave. Piping with small tips will be easier, it will not break as easy.
To be sure that you haven't got any crusted pieces, you could press the RI through new, washed nylon sock. This is common trick here. We use RI for decorating gingerbread cookies and this is the only guarantee for easy work.
For an hour or two you can even let RI sit in a bowl covered with wet cloth. But the cloth needs to be wet constantly.
If you have a lot of RI made, the best is either seal it in plastic bags or leave it in closed glass jars - sterilized jars from baby food or similar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%