Wilton Master Course In Chicago

Decorating By jctusa Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 1:15am by BlakesCakes

jctusa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jctusa Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 10

Has anyone taken the Wilton Master Course in Chicago and do you think it would warrant the expense for a new decorator just starting out at home trying to suplement retirement?

Thank you for taking a look at my post and your comments.

jctusa thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
jctusa Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 10

I guess I should have added that we just finished taking the Wilton Couse I at Michael's, start course II this week and plan on taking course III in April.

sweetie112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie112 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 10

I attended the Master's class a couple of years ago. I have mixed feelings about what I got for the expense (class, hotel, food, transportation, etc). The one benefit for me was taking additional classes in the evening while there (ie gumpaste flowers and pulled sugar)

If you are strickly a "Wilton Method" person go for it. You will learn every thing taught in the Wilton I, II, III and more.

jctusa Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 10

Sweetie112, can I ask if you are a business owner, home based or just decorating as a hobby? Sounds like you had the similar concerns as I do.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 10

I have wanted to go but then decided against it because most past attendees felt they only learnt what was already being offered in Wilton 1,2,3-and for that it makes no sense to travel all the way. Do you have local schools/community colleges that offer cake decorating courses?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkess

I have wanted to go but then decided against it because most past attendees felt they only learnt what was already being offered in Wilton 1,2,3-and for that it makes no sense to travel all the way. Do you have local schools/community colleges that offer cake decorating courses?

I've had the same impression myself and for this reason have decided against it myself.

Jctusa welcome to CC! icon_biggrin.gif

jctusa Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:

The local community college classes were another consideration, but from what I read online, Wilton (Chicago) was the way to go for intense training. I am glad you responded and I am hearing more and more people aggree with what you are saying. Of course more training would be invaluable and you will learn new techniques, but can it really be justified. Also it looks like a lot of the eight hour class time is devoted to practicing what you learn. Maybe devoting three hours a day to practicing at home would be just as valuable.

Keep those thoughts coming, I appreciate it.

jctusa Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:

I've had the same impression myself and for this reason have decided against it myself.

Jctusa welcome to CC! icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you for the welcome. thumbs_up.gif Another alternative to Wilton might be local groups or clubs for networking and sharing tips. Now I will just have to find such a club nearby or maybe start one.

jctusa

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:00am
post #9 of 10

Check to see if there is a local ICES in your area. That would be a great place to start.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:15am
post #10 of 10

I took the Master's class in Chicago 2 summers ago. I'd taken I,II,III (they were just beginning to offer the gumpaste/fondant class in stores around that time).

I felt that the class was worth every penny. I learned plenty of new things and also re-learned many things, coming away knowing how to do them better and faster. I learned "tricks of the trade", designed and built a 3 tier cake, worked intensively with royal icing, and talked shop 8hrs. a day with like-minded people. I took the supplemental gum paste class (I'd taken sugar previously and loved it) and learned a lot there, too.

As I recall, every member of the class had also taken the other Wilton classes. I think every one of us benefited from from the portion that was expanded review, as well all of the new material that was introduced.

My opinion is that if you can afford the time & $ , go for it! Just picking the brains of the staff and other students is well worth the trip.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%