How To Make Fondant Ribbon For Base Of Cake?

Decorating By woffington Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 2:05am by Cakeonista

woffington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woffington Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:42am
post #1 of 6

My fiance and I are taking on the task of making our own wedding cake! We have taken the wilton course classes 1 and 3. Tonight we made the first attempt at the top tier of the cake. It is a cake with fondant and fondant cut outs. We would also like a fondant ribbon around the base of each tier. The question we have is how to cut and place the fondant ribbon around the base of the cake without stretching the fondant when transferring it from the table to the cake. Also, for larger tiers should we cut four strips, one for each side? If so, how do we join the strips at the corners? Any tips or tricks anyone can share with us would be great!

5 replies
tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:53am
post #2 of 6

i've only done this a few times but what i do for all my fondant pieces is let them sit for a few minutes after I cut them and before putting it on. it helps them dry a bit and stops the stretching. HTH

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:54am
post #3 of 6

I use a 50/50 gumpaste fondant mix and cut my ribbon with my fmm cutter then let it sit for a few minutes.

Roll the ribbon around a frilling stick or candy treat stick (or something round the diameter of a about a pensil i would say) and roll it around itself until you have it all rolled up (sorry thats really hard to explain)... then use water around the base of your cake and attach the end of the ribbon and "unroll" it around the base of your cake...

if you can roll the ribbon long enough to go all the way around your cake you only need to do one ribbon and no worry about joints.

sorry its hard to explain without seeing it.

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:57am
post #4 of 6

I've never done the fondant ribbon, but I have seen them do it on TV. They rolled it up like a fruit rollup then just unrolled it around the cake. HTH

woffington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woffington Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:01am
post #5 of 6

saramachen, that helped! I would have never thought of wrapping the strips around a dowel before moving the strips to the cake. Thanks for the suggestion!

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:05am
post #6 of 6

I use fondant and I try to roll out my foondant the length that I need and i cut my desired width and i roll it up.............around and around, then i place t on the cake with a little bit of water on a brush and begin to unroll. Easy.........learned that from Cake Atelier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%