Facial Waxing - Pimples

Lounge By -Tubbs Updated 2 Mar 2009 , 1:27pm by cakes22

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:33am
post #1 of 12

Ok, this is a bit embarrassing, but we're all friends here, right?

I wax my 'tache every couple of months, but for 4-5 days after, I get a batch of little white pimples in the area. I presume it's an infection in the hair follicles, so have tried cleaning extra well before and after, but they still come.

Anyone know anything to keep this from happening?

11 replies
Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 5:41am
post #2 of 12

I have heard the girl at the salon I go to tell people to exfoliate the day before you do it, then after words don't use any cleansers only moisturizers. Also don't touch it after either. Your hands have bacteria on them and those pores are wide open for anything on your hands. That was the one thing she really stressed, don't keep touching it and rubbing it to feel how smooth it is, just leave it alone. Also don't rub it when you cleanse it for the first week. Just dab at it. I used to have the same problem no matter where I waxed icon_eek.gif ...but after following what she said to this other gal, it's much better.
Then again you might just be allergic to the chemicals your using.
HTH.
I hate unwanted hair!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:20am
post #3 of 12

Actually, they're not pimples as such.

Explain to your clinician what happens and he/she should be able to tell you what to do to avoid the situation. If they say it is inevitable, find another clinic.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 12

I own a Salon, we wax all the time. Be sure they are cleansing the area first to remove any make-up you may be wearing.

Some people are more sensitive to waxing then others. I'm also one of them that used to break out after waxing. I have my own "remedy" if you will. After I wax, I use Neosporin on the area right after (when you get home) just dab it on and gently rub it in. Re-apply again before going to bed.

Do you get these "pimples" immediately or after an hour or so? If it's immediate, the wax could be too hot or you may be allergic to the Salon's particular brand of wax. I've been more sensitive to some brands than I am to others.

I do not recommend exfoliating after a wax treatment, your skin is way to sensitive at this point, which could lead to more harm then good. Especially facial skin.

-Tubbs Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for your replies. I do it myself at home with cold wax strips (I'm cheap). Is that the problem?

Deb_ Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 12

No I'm pretty sure being cheap doesn't cause pimples.....he he he icon_lol.gif

I never had any luck with the home wax stuff, but I'll tell you what I do like to use to get rid of the old stash icon_cool.gif I like the facial hair remover cream by Sally Hanson. It's real gentle, you just brush it on, wait 3 minutes and wipe the hair away. I HATE the pain of waxing my upper lip I only wax my brows.

HTH
Deb

P.S. Be sure when you pull the strip off that you're pulling against the growth of the hair. Example, only do half your upper lip at a time. Apply the wax thinly, put the strip on, rub your nail over the strip to get all the wax adhered really well, and pull from the outer corner of your mouth towards the center. Immediately put pressure on that area with your finger to reduce swelling, hold for about 30 seconds, then do the other half. Never reapply more wax to the same area right away, if you didn't get all the hair off, you need to wait at least 24 hrs to try again.

-Tubbs Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Never reapply more wax to the same area right away, if you didn't get all the hair off, you need to wait at least 24 hrs to try again.

Ok, there's the problem. I keep putting new strips on until it's all gone. I guess I should make extra sure it's properly applied the first time. I know what you mean about the pain, it does smart a bit. I tried to wax my legs once. I applied one strip and tore it off. I had to hold on to the bathroom counter to stop me passing out icon_lol.gif After, I thought - it couldn't have been that bad, so I did another one and it WAS just as bad!! That was that for me and leg waxing!

Thanks for the tip on the cream - maybe I'll try that next time (or maybe I'll splash out for a salon!)

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 12

I am a waxaholic and do it at home. Go to Sally Beauty Supply and get a tub of the Honee Bee stuff for sensitive skin. Heat it in a water bath, and I use a numbing gel afterward (also at Sally). That seems to help. I did get those white bumps that you are talking about, they were in my bikini area. I think that Neosporin cleared them up for me, too.

Deb_ Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 2:08am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Never reapply more wax to the same area right away, if you didn't get all the hair off, you need to wait at least 24 hrs to try again.

Ok, there's the problem. I keep putting new strips on until it's all gone. I guess I should make extra sure it's properly applied the first time. I know what you mean about the pain, it does smart a bit. I tried to wax my legs once. I applied one strip and tore it off. I had to hold on to the bathroom counter to stop me passing out icon_lol.gif After, I thought - it couldn't have been that bad, so I did another one and it WAS just as bad!! That was that for me and leg waxing!

Thanks for the tip on the cream - maybe I'll try that next time (or maybe I'll splash out for a salon!)

If you think the leg is painful, don't try the bikini line. I think I DID lose consciousness after doing that icon_eek.gif It was worse then childbirth......well maybe not quite that painful, but it was pretty bad. icon_wink.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 12

Bikini waxing is worse than childbirth because the salon doesn't give you good drugs.

-Tubbs Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:59am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

Bikini waxing is worse than childbirth because the salon doesn't give you good drugs.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:27pm
post #12 of 12

Since we're chatting about waxing.......any one ever had a "brazilian"? I wax my bikini line at home, not so bad. I use Nair "Ceir Devine". Works great! I hate body hair so I would consider having a Brazilian, but I think I'd be too embarrassed to get it done. I read a description on what happens, and ummmmm, not sure which would be worse, getting it done or being the one applyiing the wax!!! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%