This Can Be Left Out Uncovered, Right?

Decorating By sweet1122 Updated 28 Feb 2009 , 4:38pm by aligotmatt

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 13

I plan to do all the assembly on this cake tonight and have it finished when I go to bed. I'm taking it to a party at noon, which I will be attending. Is it fine to leave it out all night uncovered? I really wouldn't know how to cover this once its assembled, so all I could think of was to leave it out. (?)
LL

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 13

My cakes just sit out on the counter, sometimes for a couple of days.

sweet1122 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 13

I was just talking to the friend (who the cake is for) and she was asking if the cake would get hard since it was being left out. She suggested toothpicks and plastic wrap, but I don't want all those toothpick marks on the cake!

So, I can tell her its fine then... ?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 13

Geesh, these poor cake civilians! They'll leave store bought doughnuts in their pantry for a week, but omg let's not leave a cake sit for a few hours! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

The "cake" won't get hard. If you used a crusting icing, the icing will be crusted, but the underside of the icing should still be nice and soft. I mean the icing won't turn into a life saver candy hardness or anything! icon_biggrin.gif

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 13

yes, it will be just fine. I leave all my cakes out over night

Lillybelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lillybelle Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 13

If a cake is covered with crusting buttercream (as indybedi mentioned) or fondant -they should be fine on counter. I have left mine out on counter for as long as two days and nights. Once cut, I was told that it was moist and yummy and could I do a wedding cake for sister in law?

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 13

Will it fit in your oven? That's where I keep my cakes when I have several to store overnight. I've even kept them in my car (I have a hatch back) on nights it's really cold. I always worry that someone will bump them or my son will decide to sneak a taste (he's done it before) if he wakes up before I do.

Just remember to put a note on your oven so you don't forget and turn it on in the morning. icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 13

Well any cream cheese or whipped cream fillings?
Don't leave those out.

Don't put it in the oven if you have a pilot light.

Don't leave it out if you have any pets. Cats will eat cake and sit in your cake boxes.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 13

OK to leae out unless it has perishable fillings... But I would find a way to cover it to keep dust, hair, etc out of it...

sweet1122 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 12:12am
post #10 of 13

Wow!!! Thank you so much! No pets, but I do have a 3 year old and being a candy cake, I'm thinking he might sneak a bite icon_biggrin.gif
Its a crusting buttercream, no fillings. It would be too tall to fit in my oven, but the car might be a good idea.
It has to go there anyway... Better sooner than later.
Thanks! I can try to conceal it from dust and what-not, but my main concern was any hardness to the cake or icing... I thought it would be fine!

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 13

If your worried just use some tissue paper to cover it up.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:30pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Don't leave it out if you have any pets. Cats will eat cake and sit in your cake boxes.

Do you speak from experience icon_wink.gif ? Because, I picture a cat laying on a half eaten cake still in the box, licking its chops. Very funny visual. icon_rolleyes.gif
(I'm a sucker for cat jokes) icon_razz.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:38pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet1122

Wow!!! Thank you so much! No pets, but I do have a 3 year old and being a candy cake, I'm thinking he might sneak a bite icon_biggrin.gif
Its a crusting buttercream, no fillings. It would be too tall to fit in my oven, but the car might be a good idea.
It has to go there anyway... Better sooner than later.
Thanks! I can try to conceal it from dust and what-not, but my main concern was any hardness to the cake or icing... I thought it would be fine!

Kind of unrelated-ish... I have a 3 year old. People ask me if I'm licensed and what the requirements are, I spout them off and always finish with, I don't know why the USDA would not let me have a goldfish in a bowl, but let me have a 3 year old boy... they laugh, but it's true!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%