How Do I Make An Ice Cream Cake?

Decorating By stephaniescakenj Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 5:54pm by stephaniescakenj

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:43am
post #1 of 5

Question for all you ice cream cake makers out there.... I need to make an ice cream cake this weekend, they want it to be alternating layers of cake and ice cream like Coldstone Creamery. They do 4 layers total, cake, ice cream, cake, ice cream. Do you think I should do that or add a third layer of cake on top? or flip it and do ice cream, cake, ice cream, cake, ice cream? And finally what type of icing should I use? I read the tutorial on here about making an ice cream cake, I can only get rich's whipped topping or cool whip here. Which do you think would be better? I've never actually used Rich's but the lady at the cake store told me its similar to whipped cream.
Thanks!!!!

4 replies
misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:13am
post #2 of 5

I use Pastry Pride it's like rich's but for me the pastry pride taste better. I hope you can find it where you live I buy mine at Smart and Final store HTH

stephaniescakenj Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the info... Unfortunately Rich's whipped topping has been the only thing I can find so far and the cake is due on Sunday so I'm running out of time.

Anyone else have any thoughts on Rich's Whipped topping? Is it the same as their bettercreme?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 5

You can use regular, real whipped cream to ice as well... that's what I do. And yes, I would recommend an additional layer of cake so that you have it on the top and on the bottom. Don't know if you have the filling assembly planned out yet, but what I like to do is soften the ice cream then press into the same size cake pan as deep as I want each layer then refreeze. Assembly of cake and IC layers then goes extremely quickly which you really need in order to gt that bad boy iced and decorated before melting. Don't forget to allow yourself plenty of time for refreezes if the decorating takes longer than expected. HTH

stephaniescakenj Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 5

thanks Kory, Yes I have the ice cream softening now and I'm going to form it in the same pans I baked the cakes in. I was thinking 3 layers of cake would be best too so i'll do that. Maybe I will just use whipped cream. I made a chocolate whipped cream a few years ago for my brother's ice cream cake and it was hard to smooth but since this actually needs to be rough iced, it doesn't matter if I can get it smooth or not. And at least I'm sure what whipped cream tastes like! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%