Rolled Buttercream...how To Best Use It??

Decorating By BakeLoveMom Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 6:24pm by hoguewild

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 12:36am
post #1 of 16

I would love to try rolled buttercream, but I have heard it is more difficult to use for covering cakes and that. I would love some of your expert opinions. I think I would like to try it on cookies first...would I cut out the same shape as the cookie??? Do I place it on when the cookie is hot??? I would just like some tips.

Thanks so much.
Sarah

15 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 12:44am
post #2 of 16

When I made it, it was for cookies, but it was so incredibly greasy that I couldn't get it to work. It was a super soft greasy mess.

hoguewild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoguewild Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:01am
post #3 of 16

I'm by no means an expert, but I think it would depend on the recipe. I got mine from allrecipes.com and it worked wonderfully! I've used it to cover half a dozen cakes, without problem (and it was super dee-lish).

I agree with the above post, stating that it can get greasy, but I found making it the night before and then sticking it in the fridge to set eased that issue.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:01am
post #4 of 16

hoguewild
How thick did you have to roll it to cover a cake without tearing?

BakeLoveMom Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:40am
post #5 of 16

I was mostly looking for another way to cover cookies, in the past I used antonia74 icing and regular bc. I have heard of using mmf or regular fondant, but I just didn't think it sounded very yummy. Does anyone have experience with those???

Thanks again,
Sarah

FlourPots Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:42am
post #6 of 16

hoguewild...would you share the recipe you used?

chilz, I love when Buddy's face appears in a thread...he's so freakin' cute.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:02am
post #7 of 16

flourpots, next time, I'll put Gator gear on him for ya!

FlourPots Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:13am
post #8 of 16

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ...that would be a riot!!!

BakeLoveMom Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 16

I went to all recipes and searched rolled bc and this is the only recipe that popped up, so I am guessing this is it. You can do the same, there are plenty of reviews with tips and it got a 4 star rating overall with 157 reviews. Hopefully I will be trying it soon. Thanks ladies.

Sarah

Rolled Buttercream from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
2 pounds confectioners' sugar

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, stir together the shortening and corn syrup. Mix in the salt and vanilla flavoring, then gradually mix in the confectioners' sugar until it is a stiff dough. If you are using a stand mixer, use the dough hook attachment. Otherwise, knead by hand. If the dough is sticky, knead in more confectioners' sugar until it is smooth. Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
2. To use, roll out on a clean surface that has been dusted with confectioners' sugar until it is 1/8 inch thick or thinner if you can. Drape over frosted and chilled cakes and smooth the sides down, or cut into strips to make bows and other decorations.

FlourPots Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 16

Damn...that's basically the recipe that didn't work for me (I got it from here). Oh well...

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:46pm
post #11 of 16

It can be greasy but it makes it easier to smooth out tears that way. I've used it for a snowglobe and wine bottle and still prefer working with fondant. I have to say that the rolled BC is yummy though! I think it would be a great cupcake topper instead of fondant.

I haven't tried to cover a full cake because I don't think I have the patience for all the tearing and "patching".

Have you tried Michele Foster's fondant with white chocolate added? It really is tasty and much sturdier to work with. HTH

FlourPots Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:02am
post #12 of 16

I LOVE Michele Foster's fondant and I usually do add white chocolate!

I was trying rolled buttercream because I've read that it's amazing on cookies and that's what I was experimenting with at the time.

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:03am
post #13 of 16

I use RBC for cookies a lot. I really like using it. It can be greasy but I just add more powder sugar and when I am rolling it I use powder sugar on the surface a bunch. Then I use a sharp knife to start it up on the edges. I too make it the night before using it and let it sit. That seems to help. I have friends who ask for cookies covered in it instead of RI. I use both though depending on what I'm doing. I normally just do cookies so I haven't tried to cover a cake in it. I did cover a cake in MMF and like that one.

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:15am
post #14 of 16

Does the rolled buttercream taste better than MM or regular fondant?

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:27pm
post #15 of 16

My family and friends like the taste of RBC better than MMF. I DO NOT add the 1/4 tsp lemon oil and 1/4 tsp orange oil. I DO add 1/2 tsp Lor Ann clear butter flavor. We like it better this way. I have also added butter rum flavor. We like it also but it has a little bit of a stronger taste. One of my friends will not eat cookies with MMF or regular buttercreme on them but WILL eat them with RBC! I love how the cookies look also with RBC on them. They turn out smooth! Pretty and tasty!

hoguewild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoguewild Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:24pm
post #16 of 16

Sorry guys, I've got a 2 year old and 6 month old, so I don't get online as often as I'd like. icon_smile.gif

That is the recipe I use, I think I normally end up using an extra 1/2 cup of icing sugar and roll it about 1/4 to 1/8 of an inch thick to prevent the tearing. I also add a tsp of almond extract, but that's just because it suits my taste better.

It needs a lot of fridge time between workings, but I find it really easy to make (esecially since I *gasp* don't have a stand mixer *L*).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%