Can Someone Tell Me What This Is?

Decorating By my_4_dumplins Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 11:31pm by prterrell

my_4_dumplins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my_4_dumplins Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 6

A friend of mine has asked me to make her wedding cake. It is similar to the first cake pictured in the link I am posting.

My question is, how do you think they did the scroll work on this cake? It doesn't appear to be piped on. Do you think it was painted on, and if so, how would you go about painting like that on fondant? TIA

5 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 6

I use americolor gels straight up, for painting. You can also thin out paste colors with a bit of alcohol and paint with those.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 6

stencil, would be my bet.

SweetieHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetieHunny Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 6

It might be painted on, but it could also be a transfer sheet.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 6

the lines don't look uniform enough to be a transfer or stencil. i agree that i is painted on-i've painted on cookies with the wilton pastes and they turned out great- just use a fine brush and maybe practice with acryllic paints and paper first until you get the look you want (it opened up a whole new way for me) hope that helps icon_smile.gif love that cake too by the way

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 6

Mix the gel color with a bit of vodka to make the paint. Without the alcohol, the gel color takes forever to dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%