***obvious Newbie***what Is Crusting Buttercream???

Decorating By cserwa Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 5:26am by cserwa

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 4

...and how does it differ from regular buttercream? And does anyone have a great recipe that they recommend?

3 replies
fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:25am
post #2 of 4

A question I can actually answer!

Crusting buttercream forms a crust when it dries - meaning that it gets hard enough to smooth with a paper towel, copy paper, foam roller, etc.

I use a crusting buttercream from indydebi on this site - it's wonderful! I've gotten tons of compliments on it.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:36am
post #3 of 4

A crusting bc is one that dries to a finish that you can smooth over to an almost fondant looking finish. It's the ratio of powdered sugar that makes it crusting.

There are so many recipes, but my personal favorite is:


It's smooth, can be flavored any so many ways and crusts beautifully.

I hope this helps you some. There are so many more knowledgable people on here than I, but maybe this will get you started anyway.

Melvira Roller Method:


There's also the Viva Paper Towel method, but for some reason I can't attach it right now. Try searching for it and you can read up on it too.

By the way, welcome to CC. K'ly

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 5:26am
post #4 of 4

This website is the best! Thank you all for the helpful links and insight. Everyone on here is so helpful and friendly. Where are the people like this in the "real world"?! LOL. THank you all again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%