Foam Board Between Cake Layers

Decorating By aundrea Updated 21 Apr 2014 , 4:03am by maybenot

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #31 of 40

I never said that there were carcinogens in Contact paper. I explained above that there are phthalates, which is a completely different matter.

As I said, I e-mailed them over a year ago, received an e-mailed response that was very clear and adamant about not having extended contact with food for the reasons stated above. Another CC member, Butternut, also e-mailed them & got the same response. Here's a copy of the e-mail she received:

Hi Margie,
Contact Paper is made of PVC VYNIL. We do not recommend this to be used in Direct contact with food. I do have other customers that are doing the same thing with our paper, and although we have not received any complaints in regards to this type of use, we still must give you caution.

Thanks,

Have a Great Day!
Teena Leyva

Kittrich Corporation
Customer Service Dept.
714-736-1057 phone
714-736-2157 fax

You can find more in the post entitled:
Covering cakeboard with contact paper by nanahaley

Rae

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 8:00pm
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I never said that there were carcinogens in Contact paper. I explained above that there are phthalates, which is a completely different matter.

As I said, I e-mailed them over a year ago, received an e-mailed response that was very clear and adamant about not having extended contact with food for the reasons stated above. Another CC member, Butternut, also e-mailed them & got the same response. Here's a copy of the e-mail she received:

Hi Margie,
Contact Paper is made of PVC VYNIL. We do not recommend this to be used in Direct contact with food. I do have other customers that are doing the same thing with our paper, and although we have not received any complaints in regards to this type of use, we still must give you caution.

Thanks,

Have a Great Day!
Teena Leyva

Kittrich Corporation
Customer Service Dept.
714-736-1057 phone
714-736-2157 fax

You can find more in the post entitled:
Covering cakeboard with contact paper by nanahaley

Rae

Isn't Commercial grade cling wrap also made of pvc? And plenty of other food containers?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 8:08pm
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by scelin

She doesn't say the brand. I saw it more than 1 time too. She doesn't use it or tell you how to do it. She just said cover it with "self sticking plastic wrap". That's why I said I wish she used real cake instead of dummies.

Yes, she does make reference to it. And she skips that step just to save time on the DVD. Real cakes were used in the video as well...she switches over for some reason. It did start with a dummy, but then once she went to insert the straws into the bottom tier....alas, real cake.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 8:45pm
post #34 of 40

"Isn't Commercial grade cling wrap also made of pvc? And plenty of other food containers?"

NO! A completely different substance is used in order make foodgrade plastics supple.

You can find full articles by NIH (National Institutes of Health), but here's a short quote:
"As a point of clarification, phthalates are not used in plastic food wraps sold in the United States categorically, and SC Johnsons website specifically states that phthalates are not used in any Saran or Ziploc product (SC Johnson 2006). "

PVC pipe isn't flexible, so no phthalates there. Phthalates are used in shower curtains, Contact paper, some vinyl flooring, etc.

The issue isn't incidental/momentary contact, but prolonged contact with the grease & acid, causing leaching of the phthalates.

Rae

Justbeck101 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:19pm
post #35 of 40
Quote:

"Isn't Commercial grade cling wrap also made of pvc? And plenty of other food containers?"

NO! A completely different substance is used in order make foodgrade plastics supple.

You can find full articles by NIH (National Institutes of Health), but here's a short quote:
"As a point of clarification, phthalates are not used in plastic food wraps sold in the United States categorically, and SC Johnsons website specifically states that phthalates are not used in any Saran or Ziploc product (SC Johnson 2006). "

PVC pipe isn't flexible, so no phthalates there. Phthalates are used in shower curtains, Contact paper, some vinyl flooring, etc.

The issue isn't incidental/momentary contact, but prolonged contact with the grease & acid, causing leaching of the phthalates.

Rae

But I have read that it IS used in COMMERCIAL GRADE plastic wrap....It is NOT used in RESIDENTIAL plastic wrap.....

That is what I read anyway.....

Justbeck101 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:29pm
post #36 of 40

I also found this and thought it was very interesting...

Maybe of some use to some..

Glad Press'n Seal has its surface covered by shaped dimples, which hold the adhesive away from the surface. While being handled, the wrap is unsticky, but when pressure is applied the dimples are flattened and the adhesive pushed against the contacting surface, sticking them together. The adhesive used is a special edible type similar to chewing gum

daveilg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daveilg Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:31pm
post #37 of 40

I use foamcore all the time. When I use it between layers I cover it with food service film I get from Sam's Club. It works great and clings to itself so no adhesive needed!

Justbeck101 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:40pm
post #38 of 40
Quote:

Rae

Microwaving food in contact with plastic wrap is another potential source of exposure, but a few years ago manufacturers in the U.S. replaced PVC plastic wrap with low-density polyethylene (LDPE), which does not contain phthalates. Plastic wrap from other countries or marketed for commercial or non-food uses may still contain PVC.

linnod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linnod Posted 19 Apr 2014 , 12:38pm
post #39 of 40

Blakescakes, Did I read your post correctly? If using foam core boards between cake layers we don't have to cover them? I wasn't aware that they were food grade. Thanks for your post.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 4:03am
post #40 of 40

No, foam core is not "food grade".  It's covered with very durable paper.

I melt edible, food grade soy wax [Golden Brands 415] and wipe it onto foam core boards I've sanitized with either vanilla extract or clear drinking alcohol [vodka or Everclear].

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%