Wrapping Cake Board

Decorating By flyingpinkpixie Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 4:41pm by saramachen

flyingpinkpixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flyingpinkpixie Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 7

I had seen where people wrapped their cake board with wrapping paper. I tried this on a baby shower cake I did, and was not happy. My buttercreme frosting made a grease circle around the cake. Any ideas on this, it was really cute but felt bad when my friend came to get the cake for the shower. icon_redface.gif

6 replies
saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 7

after you wrap your board with the paper you have to cover it with clear contact paper (you can get it at walmart or even the dollar store). It provides a barrier between your icing and the paper.

Some where on cc is a thread from someone who makes these really cool personalized cake boards and that is how she does it.

HTH

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:56am
post #3 of 7

I was wondering on this to, so I did a search and I found the post that flyingpinkpixie was talking about...
Here it is (bear with me, I don't know how to link the whole post.. Go into the 'Cake Decorating Forum" and under "Search" type in personalize cake boards, but hit the last round icon for exact words and you'll get the post. Alot of great idea's.. I'm going to try them.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 7

I agree that you will find TONS and TONS of information right here on CC. For myself, I either cover (card board) cake boards for small cakes with cake wrap, which you can buy on any cake supplier site (Country Kitchen, etc). or for my wood boards (larger cakes), I first wrap in Saran wrap then cover with fondant, which you can emboss or decorate to compliment your cake. When the cake is gone, you just peel back the Saran wrap and WALAA --- you have your (wood) board to use again!! I like this method since it accents the cake. Here's an example in my gallery...

Larger cakes using fondant covered cake board....
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1308680.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1293445.html

Smaller cake (card board) using cake wrap (as I call it!!)....
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1314891.html

Hope this helps... as well as other forum listed above!!!
~ Jaime

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 7

Jamies.. Your boards & your cakes looks amazong.. I went to the webiste.. Thanks so much. I'm going to have to put it on my "Cake Wishlist" also.. Can't do it at this time... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I'm mkaing 2 number cakes for my friend in April and I want to be able to make a Fondant black trim to go on the bottom on the numbers and also make a black & white checkered flag to go over the 2 numbes.. I just made my first batch of Marshmallow Fondant last night.. It's in the refi, so I'm going to start working on it in a bit..
Any advise you can give me?

Thanks

arwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arwa Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 7

Just one question.... is contact paper food safe? or u need to have a small cake circle under the cake?

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 7

I tried looking for the thread i was talking about before but cant seem to find it... but i found this one...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=602363&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=board&&start=30

And on the 3rd page about 1/2 way down marccrand wrote the following:
"First: No, contact paper is not considered food-safe.

Second: I use it ALL the time for my cake boards.

Third: A second pair of hands makes this job SOOOO much easier. "

I personally have done it but it was for a cake for my family... It seemed fine, no taste or residue...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%