Recipe For Chocolate No Fail Sugar Cookies??

Baking By jennym0904 Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 12:29am by jennym0904

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:15am
post #1 of 16

HELLO ALL~ I have made the nfsc recipe and loved it. Does any one have the chocolate version of this or a suggestion on how to do this? I know it will involve reducing the flour and adding cocoa, but not sure!
THANKS!!!

15 replies
andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:56am
post #2 of 16

Hi Jennifer,
I use also use and love the NFSC recipe for my chocolate rolled cookies I use the Dark Chocolate Rolled Sugar Cookie recipe from the book "Cookie Craft" and love how it comes out. They taste very coco-ey for lack of a better word icon_smile.gif Kind of brownie like, but they make beautiful cut outs when you want that contrast. Sorry I could only find these pictures. I believe the recipe is posted here, but if you can't find it I will type it out and email it to you if you want! Good luck!
LL
LL

jennym0904 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 16

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! The cookie sounds delicious! I can't wait to use the recipe.

By the way- your cookies are adorable!

thumbs_up.gif

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 1:08am
post #4 of 16

Hi Jenny!
I agree with andpotts about the dark chocolate rolled sugar cookie recipe. You can find it in the recipe section. I made a bunch of these for Valentine's gifts and everyone loved them. I don't use as much espresso powder as called for because a little goes a long way. They hold their shape beautifully, too. I hope you like it!

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 1:15am
post #5 of 16

I wanted to add that I use 1/2 tsp espresso powder, but I've used the full 1 tsp and people didn't complain! I use less because I usually give my cookies to people with kids, and sometimes little kids don't like coffee flavors. The espresso seems to enhance the chocolate flavor, though. I also use only 1/4 tsp of salt. I always use less salt than called for in baked goods (or sometimes I just leave it out).

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 16

You can take your regular NFSC recipe and sub a cup of cocoa for a cup of flour! Good Luck!

jennym0904 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:21am
post #7 of 16

GREAT!! Thanks everyone! I've made my notations and saved my new recipes! icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 16

Just wanted to share a recipe that I just adore...if you bake them just until the outer edges look cooked, they are really fudgy and yummy like a brownie...or you can bake them a little longer for a crunchier cookie. They taste awesome either way and they don't spread very much at all. I've made this recipe adjusting the serving size to only 10 cookies and it still comes out nice!

Here's some photos of cookies made using it too. Note that the cookies are covered in white modelling chocolate cut with the exact same cutter so you can see exactlly how much spreading there was.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Cut-Out-Cookies/Detail.aspx

(too funny that my photo is on there lol...I didn't even realize that!)
LL
LL

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 16

All of yal's cookies look fantastic...how do you keep them from spreading to much. I find this to be my biggest problem. I had terrible spreading this valentines day with my cookie bouquets! I bake them at 325, rolled them to a little thicker than 1/4", and i froze them before baking....can anyone help?

-Chris-

KHalstead Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 16

I have trouble with the NFSC spreading too, I sub half the butter for crisco and leave out the baking powder completely and roll to 1/4 thick and it helps a LOT! These chocolate ones though just don't seem to spread much!

azeboi2005 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:47pm
post #11 of 16

does subing 1/2 the butter for crisco compromise the taste of the cookie? to be honest most people don't notice the spreading once they are decorated...i do though which aggravates the hell out of me.

KHalstead Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 16

no, it doesn't taste any different to me...just helps with the spreading since the shortening melts at a higher temp. than butter.......another thing that helps A LOT with the spreading is freezing the cookies for 10-15 min. but then take the frozen cookies off the sheet pan and put them on a room temp. pan...a lot of people stick the frozen pan in the oven and while it helps some, you'll still get spreading...if the pan is room temp. to begin with the pan will heat up quicker (before the cookie dough) causing the outside of the cookie dough to start to bake before the center is even thawed thus helping it keep its shape. HTH

azeboi2005 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:19pm
post #13 of 16

omg that makes so much sense! i've been baking them on the cookie sheets that were in the freezer icon_razz.gif dummie me! boy do i feel foolish icon_redface.gif

KHalstead thanks so much for the help and advice...i've got some baby cookies to make this weekend so i'll give it a try!

-Chris-

KHalstead Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:39pm
post #14 of 16

not a problem........took me running out of cookie sheets to figure that one out myself! LOL I froze the cookies on a big cutting board instead of a cookie sheet and then put them on a room temp. cookie sheet and couldn't believe how much less they spread out!!!

kissylips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissylips Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:13am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles13

Hi Jenny!
I agree with andpotts about the dark chocolate rolled sugar cookie recipe. You can find it in the recipe section. I made a bunch of these for Valentine's gifts and everyone loved them. I don't use as much espresso powder as called for because a little goes a long way. They hold their shape beautifully, too. I hope you like it!

Can you say what the name of the recipe for this cookie is here on cc? There are so many Choc cookie ones. Thanks!

jennym0904 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 12:29am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissylips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles13

Hi Jenny!

Can you say what the name of the recipe for this cookie is here on cc? There are so many Choc cookie ones. Thanks!

hi kissylips- it's called "rolled dark chocolate cookie". icon_smile.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6962-Rolled-Dark-Chocolate-Cookies.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%