Pearl Dust Mixed Into Piping Gel?

Decorating By mypastrychef Updated 15 Jan 2007 , 3:15pm by DianeLM

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 2:37am
post #1 of 14

Have you mixed pearl dust into piping gel? Any advice or photos?
mpc

13 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 3:08am
post #2 of 14

I've done it and it looks fair. Sometimes adding a little bit of powdered sugar helps, but not much. It just doesn't come out looking as nice as you would think. It's pretty gray with a small amount of shine.

Michele

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 3:23am
post #3 of 14

Pearl dust just disappears in piping gel. I've had much better results with the more granular hologram or pixie dusts. See the Glitter Leaf Wedding Cake I just uploaded to my gallery.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 3:59am
post #4 of 14

I don't see the pix, did it load???

DianeLM Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 4:16am
post #5 of 14

Well, now, that's weird... I know it uploaded because I've already received several comments. But now it's not there! icon_confused.gif Curious...

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 5:58am
post #6 of 14

DianeLM
your cakes are... WoW!

I like the cake! How much did you charge for that cake? I would like to do a version of that cake for the bridal fair next month.

I went to your website and got stuck there, my computer couldn't log off from your page.
mpc

DianeLM Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypastrychef

DianeLM
your cakes are... WoW!

I like the cake! How much did you charge for that cake? I would like to do a version of that cake for the bridal fair next month.

I went to your website and got stuck there, my computer couldn't log off from your page.
mpc

Thanks, mpc!

Let's not talk about how much I charged for that cake when I made it 2 years ago. icon_rolleyes.gif If I made it today, I would charge $200. It's a 6 and 9 inch.

Got trapped on my Webshots page, didja? hehehehe... my plan is working! *wringing hands diabolically* mwahahahahaha!!!

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 5:53am
post #8 of 14

DianeLM - do you remember what the name of the color was that you used? I really like that gold. Thanks, tscookies.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 6:02am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypastrychef

Have you mixed into ? Any advice or photos?
mpc

from sugarwonders.com

Here is how to make a metallic, pipe-able icing that is edible. Mix equal parts of gold, silver, or bronze Luster Dust and powdered sugar together very well in a small bowl. Add enough clear spirit, such as vodka or lemon extract, to make a stiff paste. Then add enough piping gel to get a piping consistency. Use a small parchment bag to pipe it, and store leftovers indefinitely in the refrigerator.

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 6:16am
post #10 of 14

DianeLM - how did you do the stained glass church windows? I LOVED that assortment you made.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 6:17am
post #11 of 14

I followed the above recipe. For me, it was a very expensive lesson in something that I won't do again. icon_cool.gif

I used Nu-Silver luster dust. The result was very little product that was more grey than silver. It was runny and hard to pipe consistently--but then again, I was doing it on the side of the cake. I added a bit of extra PS, but it didn't help much--just made it more greyish.

I'm sure it would work better on the top of the cake and perhaps just for accents. For large applications, you'd need a bank loan!

I resorted to painting my buttercream scrolls with luster dust mixed with Everclear and the result was wonderful. It's the bridal shower cake in my photos.

HTH.
Rae

DianeLM Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 3:09pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscookies

DianeLM - do you remember what the name of the color was that you used? I really like that gold. Thanks, tscookies.

Do you mean what color hologram dust I used? It's Rainbow from ECG.

DianeLM Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 3:13pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscookies

DianeLM - how did you do the stained glass church windows? I LOVED that assortment you made.

I'm not sure which cake you're talking about, but I do all my stained glass outlined with buttercream or royal, then filled in with piping gel.

DianeLM Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 3:15pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I followed the above recipe. For me, it was a very expensive lesson in something that I won't do again. icon_cool.gif

I used Nu-Silver . The result was very little product that was more grey than silver. It was runny and hard to pipe consistently--but then again, I was doing it on the side of the cake. I added a bit of extra PS, but it didn't help much--just made it more greyish.

I'm sure it would work better on the top of the cake and perhaps just for accents. For large applications, you'd need a bank loan!

I resorted to painting my buttercream scrolls with mixed with Everclear and the result was wonderful. It's the bridal shower cake in my photos.

HTH.
Rae

Amen, sista! I actually had the opposite problem. Mine was too thick. I used it for writing, but came to the conclusion that painting royal icing gold would take about the same amount of time for a fraction of the cost.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%