What Is Your Best Selling Flavor Combo?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 6:26pm by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 53

What is your best selling (most requested) specialty flavor combination?

(I saw somewhere a Pina colada cake and now I can't get that song out of my head... it's been 2 weeks icon_rolleyes.gif )

Please share~

thanks icon_smile.gif

52 replies
cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 53

wasc with bavarian cream and strawberries
dreamsicle
strawberry/french vanilla swirl
pumpkin spice
key lime white chocolate

i love that song too : )

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 53

Anyone else want to chime in?
Cas17- I love me some pumpkin spice!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 53

Lately I'm getting a lot of requests for dark chocolate espresso cake with a raspberry chambord mousse filling and dark chocolate ganache icing.

2nd most popular is white cake with creme brule' custard and caramel filling (alternated) with either SMBC or all butter buttercream.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 53

Believe it or not vanilla with vanilla pudding, boring icon_sad.gif Don't get me wrong, tastes yummy i'd just like to try something new!

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 53

keylime with mango filling
dark chocolatewith cherry filling (cherries garcia)
and
vanilla with amaretto buttercreme
ooooooh, and
red velvet with cream cheese

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 53

white with red raspberry filling.

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 12:44am
post #8 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Lately I'm getting a lot of requests for dark chocolate espresso cake with a raspberry chambord mousse filling and dark chocolate ganache icing.

2nd most popular is white cake with creme brule' custard and caramel filling (alternated) with either SMBC or all butter buttercream.

Oh! I want the recipe of both if you ever get a chance! Sounds YUMMY!!!!

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 53

Chocolate w/chocolate hazelnut

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:56pm
post #10 of 53

that's easy...vanilla sour cream cake with raspberry mousseline buttercream. then chocolate raspberry truffle.

people just *love* raspberries!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:03pm
post #11 of 53

My most popular flavors-

Vanilla with vanilla almond BC
Chocolate with vanilla almond BC

NO experimenters out here! icon_sad.gif

Deb_ Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 53

Sure shell62995 I'll share. The thick caramel recipe I use is found here in the recipe section by jodief.....It's the best and dangerous, you'll want to get a spoon and eat the entire thing.

Creme brule' custard filling (enough to fill an 8 or 9" 2 layer torted cake)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar
5 tbsp flour
a pinch of salt
2 cups of heavy cream
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 vanilla bean pod split open, seeds scraped out or 1tsp pure vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Combine the sugar, salt, and flour in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir in cream gradually until mixture is smoothly dissolved. Add the vanilla beans or vanilla extract. Bring to a boil over medium heat, be sure to stir constantly to prevent lumps from forming.

2. Boil mixture until it begins to thicken and able to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, drizzle some hot liquid into the beaten egg yolks to temper the eggs. Return eggs to the saucepan and stir well. Heat until bubbling again and slightly thickened to custard texture as desired.

3. Remove from heat, cover custard surface with cling wrap and chill in fridge for 2 hours.

Here's the link to the caramel filling....It's the best, beware you'll want to grab a spoon and start eating it, I'm not kidding I have to hide it from MYSELF! icon_lol.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6851-5-Thick-Caramel-Sauce-or-Filling.html

Here's the choc. espresso cake recipe.

Chocolate Espresso Cake

When it comes out of the oven the cake should still be moist - sticky even - in the middle. As it cools the cake will sink slightly and the crust will crisp.

On cooling, the outside of the cake becomes sponge-like, whilst the center remains dense and fudgy. Not recommended for carving.

Serves 8 ( Double the recipe for 2 layers)

6 ounces (180g) fine dark chocolate, chopped
a small espresso (about 3 tablespoons very strong coffee)
10 tablespoons butter, diced
5 eggs, separated
¾ cup golden caster sugar
1 tbsp. cocoa powder
¾ cup all-purpose flour

Method:
Line the base of a 8-9 inch shallow springform cake pan with silicone baking parchment paper, buttering the pan lightly to hold it in place.

Melt the chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. As soon as it starts to soften, add the coffee and leave it for two or three minutes. Stir very gently, then when the chocolate has melted add the butter. Stir until it has melted.

Meanwhile, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer till stiff, then fold in the sugar. Mix the baking powder with the cocoa powder and flour. Remove the chocolate from the heat, quickly stir in the egg yolks, then slowly, firmly, and gently fold the melted chocolate into the egg whites. Lastly sift in the flour and cocoa mixture.

Stir the mixture tenderly with a large metal spoon, taking care not to knock out any air. It should feel light and wobbly. do not overmix - just enough to fold in the flour. Scoop into the lined pan and bake in an oven preheated to 350ºF for thirty-five minutes. Leave to cool in its pan, then turn out.

Raspberry mousse filling

* 1 pint fresh raspberries
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1 egg white
* 1/4 cup sugar

Directions

1. Place raspberries in blender container and blend until smooth.
2. Add lemon juice.
3. In large bowl beat cream until soft peaks form then fold in raspberry mixture.
4. In a separate bowl sprinkle sugar over egg white and continue beating until sugar is dissolved then fold into raspberry mixture.

Chill til firm.......cake needs to be refrigerated when using this filling.

Enjoy everyone!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:11pm
post #13 of 53

Boring old standard vanilla with vanilla buttercream and raspberry preserves, very traditional and I guess going to please most guests! Adult cakes tend to be chocolate with whipped chocolate ganache filling. Only my wedding clients seem to want to try something a bit different!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:12pm
post #14 of 53

My two most requested are... vanilla cake with strawberries and/or bananas and vanilla mousse, vanilla cake with chocolate mousse. Not so earth shattering flavors LOL. My personal favorite is dark chocolate cake, white chocolate mousse with fresh raspberries and either a fresh whipped cream or ganache icing. YUM!

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:46pm
post #15 of 53

Fudge marble cake, cookies and cream filling, iced with buttercream.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:55pm
post #16 of 53

I have requests for two main flavors:
White with regular bc........(((boring))) but popular
Amaretto butter with amaretto buttercream (and I don't cook it all out!) No wonder they like it.

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:58pm
post #17 of 53

3 Leches with pinaapple and coconut filling and 3 leches with pecan and mocha filling and Mocha frosting these are my most popular. icon_biggrin.gif

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:59am
post #18 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingoodies

My two most requested are... vanilla cake with strawberries and/or bananas and vanilla mousse, vanilla cake with chocolate mousse. Not so earth shattering flavors LOL. My personal favorite is dark chocolate cake, white chocolate mousse with fresh raspberries and either a fresh whipped cream or ganache icing. YUM!

GINGOODIES- what's your recipe for white choc mousse? I have no success with anything white chocolate!

these all sound so yummy. i am a big fan of chocolate with raspberry!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:02am
post #19 of 53

I love lemon and raspberry together!

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:16am
post #20 of 53

mine are chocolate cake filled with caramel then iced with choco fudge and chocolate mousse cake

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:52am
post #21 of 53

these all sound so great. Can anyone tell me what "golden caster sugar" is in the Expresso recipe?

Deb_ Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:05am
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyone65

these all sound so great. Can anyone tell me what "golden caster sugar" is in the Expresso recipe?

In color it is like light brown sugar, but it is much finer, dissolves more quickly, and is recommended for sweetening beverages, and for making meringues, cakes, soufflés, and mousses. I buy it at my local baker's wholesale supply. You can substitute regular caster sugar or any superfine (granulated) sugar in it's place and it will be ok.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:32am
post #23 of 53

Does anyone else enjoy the sweet & savory together? I LOVE it!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:44pm
post #24 of 53

WASC with american buttercream. No filling. People around here don't experiment either. Actually, they think ordering almond IS experimenting!

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:35pm
post #25 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

WASC with american buttercream. No filling. People around here don't experiment either. Actually, they think ordering almond IS experimenting!

i had to laugh when i read your post because that is so true! what i've noticed is that they want to order something different but are afraid their guests won't like it and then they would have all kinds of cake left over. a shame...

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:39pm
post #26 of 53

white w/ raspberry or white with raspberry cream filling (I mix raspberry filling 1/2 and 1/2 with my buttercream lol) people think it's some exotic mousse type of filling........too funny.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:47pm
post #27 of 53

Dkelly your chocolate cake sounds yummy....................i just made a chocolate brownie cake with 1 layer of peanut butter mousse and reeces peanut butter cups and 1 layer of banana pudding with fresh bananas, it was the most decadent cake I have ever tried. The combination worked so well together. By the way the fondant was Satin Ice dark chocolate (first time i'm trying this one) Fabulous!! I'm definitly going to try your chocolate cake. Thanks for posting.

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:57pm
post #28 of 53

dkelly, thanks for sharing. I am definatly going to have to try your recipies. great thread.

prue23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prue23 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:45pm
post #29 of 53

my family loves WASC with dulce de leche filling and a chocolate fudge cake with dark chocolate ganache . . . I'm lucky b/c I can try all flavors and I will always have people willing to try them icon_smile.gif and they're honest (maybe too honest) they will tell me if something is just very very wrong

Deb_ Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:35pm
post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariu

Dkelly your chocolate cake sounds yummy....................i just made a chocolate brownie cake with 1 layer of peanut butter mousse and reeces peanut butter cups and 1 layer of banana pudding with fresh bananas, it was the most decadent cake I have ever tried. The combination worked so well together. By the way the fondant was dark chocolate (first time i'm trying this one) Fabulous!! I'm definitly going to try your chocolate cake. Thanks for posting.

Thanks mariu........yours sounds phenomenal as well. Was it Elvis Presley that loved peanut butter and bananas? I'll definitely have to give this a try. Did you use the PB mousse recipe that's found on here? I think I have it saved in my fav's. Yes I do, is this the one?
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3073-Peanut-Butter-Mousse.html

Thanks to all for sharing some great combos......love this thread!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%