Smooth And Crumb-Free Frosting....is It Possible?

Decorating By Chribo Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 8:00pm by didi5

Chribo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chribo Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all,

I have been decorating cakes for a bit over a year and I still can not master the smooth no line butter cream frosting on my cakes. I also bake almost all yellow cakes due to the chocolate crumbs show up and sabotage me!

So my question is how do you make your cakes so smooth and crumb free?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Chribo

11 replies
jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 12

A great crusting buttercream...and a large putty knife and viva papertowel. Lots of patience.

SugarShack has a great video...Prefecting the Art of Buttercream.

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 12

The icing tip helps a lot. You can put down a large ribbon of icing without disturbing the surface. I'm still a beginner myself but a crumb coating also helps especially with chocolate.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 12

Hi there, buttercream is not my strongest point as I'm very happy with fondant. But here is a great video from tonedna, on how she cover the cakes with buttercream.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 12

A crumb coating is absolutely necessary. Also, it's very important to keep going one direction when spreading the icing...going back and forth can easily start pulling crumbs up. And then what jlsheik said. icon_smile.gif

buckeyecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buckeyecakes Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 12

As a beginner myself, I know how you feel. I spent alot of time (and money on ingredients) trying to figure it out on my own. After reading all the comments about SugarShack's video, I decided to try it.... it has been the best money I've ever spent. I still don't get it "perfect" - but my cakes are 300% better than they were. The last one I made, everyone commented on how smooth the cake was.

buckeyecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buckeyecakes Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 2:02pm
post #7 of 12

As a beginner myself, I know how you feel. I spent alot of time (and money on ingredients) trying to figure it out on my own. After reading all the comments about SugarShack's video, I decided to try it.... it has been the best money I've ever spent. I still don't get it "perfect" - but my cakes are 300% better than they were. The last one I made, everyone commented on how smooth the cake was.

Chribo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chribo Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you for all of your replies. Where do I find SugarShacks Video?

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 12

http://sugaredproductions.com/ You can find this one and others that are equally great. Money well spent

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 12

Hi, here is the link to her website. You can buy it from there.

HTH.

LovesPekes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovesPekes Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 12

I've taken several cake classes and they do even begin to compare to what I learned from Sugarshack's video. I can now successfully ice a cake without any crumbs...even a chocolate cake....and there is no need to do a crumb coat. And I love that most people think my cakes are covered in fondant since they are so smooth!

Her video is worth every cent. It will be money well spent if you are wanting to make beautifully covered cakes.

Kim C

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 8:00pm
post #12 of 12

Crumb coating your cakes definitely helps in containing the crumbs. Sometimes I brush out the crumbs first before crumb coating. I use either IMBC or sMBC and it's so easy to have a smooth sides using a special tool. Check out this tutorial to see the special high- tech tool I'm taking about. icon_biggrin.gif http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/icing-a-cake.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%