Has Anyone Ever Thought To Try?

Decorating By Ayanami Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 4:19pm by Marianna46

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 17

I walked into Michaels the other day & the first thing I saw was the wall of collage & scrapbooking stuff. I got to looking at all of the intricate paper punches that scrapbookers use & I got to wondering ...

Has anyone ever tried to use something like that for punching fondant or gumpaste! I wonder how well it work or if it even would!?

I am all for using non-cake related items in my cakeing expeditions! thumbs_up.gif

16 replies
loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 17

I know they sell punches for Sugarveil...Are the punches for paper food safe?

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 17

I use stencils that are made for scrapbooking to stencil on my cakes. I just bought a bunch of them on sale at Michael's. Some of the very same designs cost 5 bucks a sheet and I got 3 sheets in a package for $1.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 17

Yes i do... i use either my flowerpaste or my fondant with dyocell added.. i then roll out using my pasta machine as makes it really thin like paper.. and then i use as i would paper..
I bought some of the craft punches just for my icing so as not to use ones that have been used on paper incase of contimination. it is very effective.

I have also airbrushed them to suit once cut out or cust with lustre's.

have fun is a nice cheap and effective tool to have in your kit and so many different ones. makes good icing confetti for on cakes too

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 17

I love the selection of supplies in the clay section you can use for cakes/cookies.
I know some people use different stamps for fondant.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 17

I loooooove scrapbooking stamps! While I know they aren't technically food safe, DH and I have eaten many cupcakes and cookies topped with fondant imprinted with these stamps and have yet to experience any kind of projectile vomiting or the like. icon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 17

Ariginal -

Is Dyocell the same as Tylose or CMC? (Sodium Carboxymethyl Cellulose Gum or Cellulose Gum)

Thanks -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

I loooooove scrapbooking stamps! While I know they aren't technically food safe, DH and I have eaten many cupcakes and cookies topped with fondant imprinted with these stamps and have yet to experience any kind of projectile vomiting or the like. icon_lol.gif

LOL!!! Good to know... Love all of these ideas...Thanks everyone...I am new at this and it is wonderful when you can get info like this...I love CC...

Robin

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 17

I have a huge assortment of paper punches, most of them from the Martha Stewart Collection. If you roll your gumpaste/fondant out right, and it's dry enough, they come out perfectly!

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 17

yeah! no adverse side effects! thumbs_up.gif ( icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif )

I'll have to go ahead & buy a couple to experiment with.

Thanks everyone! you guys rock!

icon_biggrin.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 17

My daughter has a set of edge cutting scissors for scrapbooking. They make really pretty edges in fondant, too. And of course they're washable! She picked them up either in a Michael's when she went to the US once or she found them in the Sam's or CostCo in Cancún, where she lives.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:35am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

My daughter has a set of edge cutting scissors for scrapbooking. They make really pretty edges in fondant, too. And of course they're washable! She picked them up either in a Michael's when she went to the US once or she found them in the Sam's or CostCo in Cancún, where she lives.

I love this idea...Thanks!

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:41am
post #13 of 17

I doubt they are food safe,so be cautious when selling items that you have used scrapbooking equip. on.

I think as long as you clean them VERY well you are ok. Most of the metal tools like that come with oil on them to keep them from rusting.

I would punch out some first, even after cleaning, to be a little ore confident in the cleanliness. I am a stickler for cleanliness when it comes to food. (my degree requires it, too many true stories)

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 4:53am
post #14 of 17

Yeah, I have been wondering this myself. I have been scrapbooking for nine years and stamping for about four. I have acquired quite the collection of craft stuff. I have just recently gotten into cakes. I think these all go hand in hand. It is all about being creative. I have a pile of stuff that I packed up to swap with other paper crafters, but now I'll have to see what I might can use for cakes!

Candee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candee Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 5:00am
post #15 of 17

Can't believe this just was posted as I was just going to post something similar! I've used the larger craft paper punches and roll the fondant and some tylose mixed with it and roll very thin. I let it dry slightly before punching but you can get great snowflakes or hearts or stars or whatever you have punches for.

What I was wondering was if the Cri - cut machine they have would work for the fondant. They have a tool/attachment now that will cut thicker medium (it's the expressions model I believe-I just googled to read about it).

If the fondant/tylose were slightly dried-I wonder if it would work? If so that would be really great!! Has anyone tried?

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 5:10am
post #16 of 17

I believe I have read that people have used the Cricut with some sort of frosting sheet. I wasn't sure what that was. But this person took the cutting pad and was able to somehow remove the stickiness. To cut images, she applied a thin layer of icing to act as an adhesive. She said that you had to clean the blade pretty frequently. And I can't remember if I read that thread here or on my stamping website.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 4:19pm
post #17 of 17

Talk about one of those things I'd really like to have: it's the Cricut machine. I don't know how (they don't sell them in Mexico and I don't go to the US all that often anymore), but one of these days... maybe after I get the Kitchen Aid paid off!!!

I agree with paddlegirl14 about being careful with food safety. I'm a fanatic about washing everything I use with lots of hot, soapy water. I don't think these scissors are unsafe in themselves (they don't contain lead, for example), but you never know what they've been treated with before they're shipped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%