How Do I Make A Waterfall??

Decorating By sweetsbycheryl Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 1:20pm by sweetsbycheryl

sweetsbycheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbycheryl Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a beach party/luau cake for my parents' 40th wedding anniversary party next month. I want to do a three tier cake with a tiki hut on top, and I want to make a waterfall come from the top tier down the side of the cake into a pool on the baseboard. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? TIA!!!

8 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 9

Are you wanting a *real* waterfall or an icing waterfall? Piping gel over icing helps give a great wet look, looks very much like water if you airbrush it with blue and a touch of teal.

lizardlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizardlady Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:19am
post #3 of 9

I used piping gel colored with royal blue on my waterfall--but it was a horseshoe shaped cake, therefore smaller. I think prterrell is right, though, about using a touch of teal to give it a more real water look. Just pipe it where you want it to go, being careful not to pipe too thick or it will just keep sliding down!!

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:22am
post #4 of 9

I just made a 2 tier jungle cake with a waterfall. It is the first picture in my pics. I just tinted my icing the color of blue I wanted(it didn't take much) and then added some piping gel to it, maybe three Tbsps. The more piping gel you add the more of a wet look you will achieve. After I got the color I wanted I mixed in a little white icing to give the waterfall that white foamy look.

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:07am
post #5 of 9

Hi! I did just such a cake for my twins 16th birthday last July!

Here's a pic and if you give me a couple of days, I can give you detailed intructions on how to do it! Hope you like it!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1242790

thumbs_up.gif Lisa

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:43am
post #6 of 9

I also did a jungle cake with a waterfall. I used blue colored buttercream. I piped it on using a coupler with no tip just to fill in the area. Then I went through with a spatula and spread it out. As I spread it, I would lift the spatula straight out to create more of a water look. Once you start playing with it you'll have no problem. It's fun icon_smile.gif
(The jungle cake is in my gallery if you'd like to see another example)

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 6:48am
post #7 of 9

if you're using fondant, color it blue and sort of pool it at each tier. then put luster dust on parts to look like shiny water. i made one for my friend's baby shower last year, it's in my photos. it was based on this one by ailyn222 (which is perfect)

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=61312

just make sure to color your water dark enough, mine was too light and now it bothers me lol.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 6:12am
post #8 of 9

Hi sweetsbycheryl,

I have a couple different cakes with waterfalls or water in them, in my photo album. I use piping gel mostly, because to me it looks so much like real water. All I do is add a very small amount of sky blue food color paste to the piping gel and then spoon it on the cake.

Tammy

sweetsbycheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbycheryl Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:20pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all the suggestions- I think I will give the piping gel a go- You guys have some great pictures!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%