Sugarflair Food Colors

Decorating By KristaK Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 11:10pm by Rosie2

KristaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristaK Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:30am
post #1 of 9

Last time I was on the site I noticed that Wilton was the only brand of food coloring that you carry. Did I just miss the other brands? I really like Sugarflair (pretty sure that is the name of it) and they have a great selection of colors.

8 replies
AlanT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanT Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 9

We carry Wilton and Americolor. Americolor are my colors of choice-they have to taste and great colors.
We do not carry Sugarflair for one simple reason. They are NOT FDA approved for food use. Many of their colors contain RED #2 and other colorings that have been known to cause cancer. I won't go there!
Alan

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 9

Can you please clarify which colours contain RED #2. Last time I looked Sugarflair colours didn't contain this.

AlanT Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 9

It seems they have removed Red#2 which is good. Unfortunately, they are sold and shipped as food coloring and are not FDA approved. It is still illegal for me to stock and sell them in the US.
Alan

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 9

Many people all over the world like to use Sugarflair colours.

Just because they are not FDA approved does not make them unsafe or 'cancer causing'

Americolor contains ingredients that cannot be sold in many countries. They are phasing out many colours in the UK in 2009 as they have found them unsafe and NOT recommended for children. These include Yellow 6, Yellow 13, Red 3, Red 40, Yellow 5. These are all found in Americolor food colouring.

Bakers and decorators should be responsible in their use of food colour in regards to children and factor that into their cake decorating.

The above colours have been found to cause behavourial problems in children and we should think about what we put into their bodies.

I am a parent and one of my children is very sensitive to artificial colours in food, so I welcome the changes in legislation around the world and look forward to us all eating more healthy foods.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 9

Sugarflair is sold in Canada - my only choice as they are nut free and gluten free.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 9

Any updates in this topic?

AlanT Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 9

I am going to England in November for the NEC convention. I will speak to SugarFlair about which colors I can safely import. Alan

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT

I am going to England in November for the NEC convention. I will speak to SugarFlair about which colors I can safely import. Alan

Ahhh awesome! thank you Alan thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%