Smbc Vs Imbc

Decorating By msulli10 Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 2:43pm by luvbakin

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 13

I want to try making SMBC and IMBC for the first time. What do folks prefer? Do they basically have the same taste and texture, just a different way of making it? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.

12 replies
msulli10 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 13

Anyone??

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 13

I prefer IMBC because the whites are cooked a bit more. In SMBC I swear I can smell the egg whites. Yuck. JMO.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:22am
post #4 of 13

I prefer IMBC because I can make it using meringue powder, which I find gives me more consistent results than using egg whites.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:24am
post #5 of 13

I prefer IMBC because at the base, an Italian Meringue is more stable than a swiss, so it stands to reason that IMBC is going to be a little more stable than a swiss. Not to say i NEVER use Swiss, but I prefer Italian. I use fresh eggs whites for either.

msulli10 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:07am
post #6 of 13

Thanks. Pterrel - how much meringue powder do you use in place of the egg whites?
I made the IMBC and I had a little trouble with the consistency - it kind of looked curdled at first and then I just kept beating it to bring it back together. Not sure what I did wrong, but it sure tasted good.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:28am
post #7 of 13

msulli10,

I start out making a batch of the 7-minute frosting (3 T meringue powder whipped with 1/2 c cold water, the syrup ois 1/2 c water, 2 c sugar, and 1/4 c corn syrup) and then add a pound of butter and tsp vanilla to that (and because I live in GA a cup of shortening in addition to the pound of butter).

I switched to this version, because every time I've tried to make it using real egg whites, the meringue has never wanted to form and hold, even with making sure everything is super grease free, using older room temp egg whites, and adding 1/8 tsp cream of tartar for every egg white. I've NEVER had a failed batch with the meringue-powder version.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:49am
post #8 of 13

Very similar, mostly different in preparation. IMBC is more stable, but SMBC is so much easier to make that it is what I use. Also there are more tricky parts to IMBC, and I can have even my 17 y/o intern make SMBC icon_smile.gif

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:40am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbakin

I prefer IMBC because the whites are cooked a bit more. In SMBC I swear I can smell the egg whites. Yuck. JMO.

i believe SMBC calls for cooked egg whites, while IMBC is where we pour cooked syrup into a bowl of raw egg whites, right?
so, SMBC can't be more smelly than IMBC as far as egg whites go, no?

i've never attempted IMBC yet, since i don't own a standing mixer (can only afford an ol' hand mixer for now, & it doesn't come with paddle, only whip).. so...

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:17am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

msulli10,

I start out making a batch of the 7-minute frosting (3 T meringue powder whipped with 1/2 c cold water, the syrup ois 1/2 c water, 2 c sugar, and 1/4 c corn syrup) and then add a pound of butter and tsp vanilla to that (and because I live in GA a cup of shortening in addition to the pound of butter).

I switched to this version, because every time I've tried to make it using real egg whites, the meringue has never wanted to form and hold, even with making sure everything is super grease free, using older room temp egg whites, and adding 1/8 tsp cream of tartar for every egg white. I've NEVER had a failed batch with the meringue-powder version.

So does this version have to be refrigerated?

msulli10 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:14pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks everyone.

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:06pm
post #12 of 13

prterrell, since I am a newbie, I am a bit confused about your recipe...could you be a bit more specific? Sorry to be a dolt, but I don't understand it icon_confused.gif

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:43pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbakin

i believe SMBC calls for cooked egg whites, while IMBC is where we pour cooked syrup into a bowl of raw egg whites, right?
so, SMBC can't be more smelly than IMBC as far as egg whites go, no?

i've never attempted IMBC yet, since i don't own a standing mixer (can only afford an ol' hand mixer for now, & it doesn't come with paddle, only whip).. so...

The egg whites are just simmered in SMBC, but I believe the hot sugar mixture heats them to a higher temp, and therefor cookes them more, in a IMBC. JMO. My friend loves SMBC and said that my nose must be sensitive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%