My Cake Has Blisters??!!!

Decorating By ddaigle Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 8:38pm by luvbakin

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 12

Ok..here's a new one for me and I couldn't find anything in the forums. After I decorated my cake last night, I walked by it and saw what I'll call blisters! icon_surprised.gif Looked like air pockets, but were not puffy to the touch. I took a pin an put the teeny tiny hole in it and it released the "air", then I smoothed over my hole. I made a heart shaped cake and they were around the top curves and bottom point. What the *** was that all about? Looking forward to your answers. Deb

11 replies
MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 12

I assume it is a fondant covered cake?? If you are using a crusting buttercream underneath you need to dampen the icing before applying the fondant, I just use a damp paper towel, you can use a squirt bottle, or whatever you have. Anyway, this helps the fondant adhere to the buttercream, if you don't do this it will cause air bubbles where the fondant doesn't grab onto the buttercream. Also, I have found that if you cover a really cold cake, one that has been in the fridge, you will get air pocket as the condensation comes to the surface underneath the fondant. Now, I always flash freeze my buttercream covered cake (as per Sugarshack DVD), before applying fondant, but the cake has been setting at room temperature when I do this. Hope this helps!

ddaigle Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 12

This happened with buttercream.....no fondant.

cheferyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheferyn Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 12

I remember in Pastry school hearing about a place in disney world that every wedding cake got blisters. It turned out to be a yeast problem in the kitchen. Nothing wrong with it. It just made air pockets in the icing. Just use a pin to get the air out. Good luck!

brannendeville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brannendeville Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 12

What is considered flash freezing?

ddaigle Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 12

Maybe it's the weather. It's been crazy here in Louisiana...maybe it was just a fluke. I was just so shocked to walk by my cake and see these blisters!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by brannendeville

What is considered flash freezing?

Putting the cake in the freezer while rolling out your fondant, approx. 5 to 8 minutes, it just firms it up for the fondant.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 12

Did you ice your cake while it was frozen?

ddaigle Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:11pm
post #9 of 12

My cake was room temp. I did my normal thing. Used my normal BC icing recipe.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 12

I used to have this problem, and then I read here on cc what the problem was. If you ice your cake right out of the fridge, then when it comes to room temp the cake releases gases which cause the blisters. I have now started icing my cake at completely room temperature and don't have that problem any more.

ddaigle Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:08pm
post #11 of 12

Well, my cake had a serious case of gas then! Geesh. It wasn't cold though/

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:38pm
post #12 of 12

I had read that it was from a cold cake being iced, and then gas releasing as it got to room temp. If yours was already room temp, then I am not sure what happened. I do know that since I started icing cakes at room temp, I no longer have that problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%