Black Icing Or Fondant ***please***

Decorating By valluvscrafts Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 11:03pm by trombonekaren

valluvscrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valluvscrafts Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:08am
post #1 of 14

Please can anyone help.. How do you get buttervream icing or fondant black... mine always is gray ... I need to do a steelers theme and so I need it black I need this Friday short notice and I have no time to order black fondant... Thanks to everyone Val

13 replies
Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:16am
post #2 of 14

Have you tried putting in some cocoa powder first? I made some this past week and it turned out really black.

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:16am
post #3 of 14

I only have luck with black icing or fondant when I start with Chocolate BC or chocolate fondant. If you are making MMF I would make chocolate MMF and add black coloring to that. If you are making BC, add cocoa powder and then black coloring.

prcutie71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prcutie71 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:17am
post #4 of 14

When I make buttercream I add cocoa powder to get it brown first, then add the black coloring. I have had great success in this...the black comes out very deep black. I also do it in advance because it seems as the black sets it gets deeper...hope this helps and good luck...

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:50am
post #5 of 14

I just bought a big bucket of black icing from Sam's bakery, but it was buttercream.

I bought this after deciding I hate making black icing, although I do have a way to make it that works very well.

Depending on how much I need I will add some of the Wilton black decorator icing in the tube to my regular white bc, and then add a decent amount of black Americolor paste. It turns it quite dark and within a few hours it is jet black. I could add about three cups of white to one tube of black, maybe more; I never really measured. I just know I got a lot more black that way than buying multiple tubes of the black icing.

That said, now that I've tried Sam's black icing, I will probably never make it again! I think it was 8 lbs. for around $12.00.

As far as black fondant, I haven't seen one person ask here where it was answered that coloring your own works well. I think most people just buy the black (and red too). I know you don't have time to order any, but is there any cake/candy supply stores you could go to? I know mine carries black and red fondant all the time.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:26am
post #6 of 14

My only other thought is to get it as dark as you can, and then paint the fondant with an additional coat of black gel paste (thinned with vodka). That might make an unbelievable mess when the cake is cut, but I had to do that just to get a little 7" LP record a true, shiny black for a cake.

I'd suggest Color Mist but I have read nothing but bad things about that product's black version. If you have a few minutes and don't mind a tiny investment, you could look up posts about the Preval sprayer and just buy one of those...then again you may not be able to get your hands on airbrush color to use in it...hm.

USMCWifePena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMCWifePena Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:09am
post #7 of 14

In my experience...i have used at least 3/4 of a small black paste food color in a normal batch of MMF and in about an hour it is completely black...I just did an xbox cake and an i phone cake doing it that way...havent had any complaints icon_biggrin.gif

valluvscrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valluvscrafts Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:50am
post #8 of 14

thanks all I will try coco powder and then the black as alot of people don't like fondant I think it makes it look nicer... I really appreciate all the help

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:12pm
post #9 of 14

Americolor super black will turn it totally black and you don't need lots of coloring to do it. I have never had a problem getting my icing or fondant black. Go get some you won't be sorry.

MaxTRexmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaxTRexmom Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:37pm
post #10 of 14

I use Americolor for any black, red or dark blue color I need because Wilton just can't ever get it dark enough. I just made a stacked cake last weekend with TONS of black fondant and I only had to use less than 1 bottle of the Americolor.

Traci9130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Traci9130 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 14

Black is a difficult color to make...What I have been doing is I have been buying the Satin Ice fondant. They make then in ALL colors, including black. I hope this helps.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:18pm
post #12 of 14

I use Americolor also and have no problems. Make sure to color your buttercream, and especially fondant, and let them sit overnight before using. The color will deepen overnight.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:19pm
post #13 of 14

I save all of my BC colors (mixed together) and add black to it. Doesn't take much an I save the left over in the freezer for future use. If I need black and don't have any "freezer stash" I use chefmaster liqua gel color. It's concentrated and takes very little to get a deep black (or red) instantly. No waiting for it to intensify and I don't have to use 1/2 a bottle to get results.

trombonekaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trombonekaren Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:03pm
post #14 of 14

The best way I know to get black is to mix Red and Black colorings - red first, then black - this always works for me! KM

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%