Did You Know This About Wd-40

Lounge By dldbrou Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 11:49pm by cinderspritzer

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 20

List of what WD-40 is good for. Amazing how many things it works on.

I had a neighbor who had bought a new pickup. I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw that someone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (for some unknown reason). I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news. He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do probably nothing until Monday morning, since nothing was open. Another neighbor came out and told him to get his WD-40 and clean it off. It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck. I'm impressed! WD-40 who knew?

Water Displacement #40. The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a 'water displacement' compound. They were successful with the fortieth
formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts.

Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is
nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you.
When you read the 'shower door' part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle! Then try it on your
stovetop...Voila! It's now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed
Here are some of the uses:
1) Protects silver from tarnishing.

2) Removes road tar and grime from cars.

3) Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.

4) Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery.

5) Keeps flies off cows.

6) Restores and cleans chalkboards.

7) Removes lipstick stains.

icon_cool.gif Loosens stubborn zippers.

9) Untangles jewelry chains.

10) Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.

11) Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.

12) Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.

13) Removes tomato stains from clothing.

14) Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.

15) Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.

16) Keeps scissors working smoothly.

17) Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.

1icon_cool.gif It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor!

Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them
off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.

19) Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!

20) Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super
fast slide.

21) Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.

22) Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.

23) Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.

24) Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.

25) Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.

26) Restores and clean s roof racks on vehicles.

27) Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.

2icon_cool.gif Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.

29) Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.

30) Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.

31) Removes splattered grease on stove.

32) Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.

33) Lubricates prosthetic limbs.

34) Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).

35) Removes all traces of duct tape.

36) Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.

37) Florida 's favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.'

3icon_cool.gif The favorite use in the state of New York WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.

39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no & nbsp; time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that
purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.

40) Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.

41) WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.

42) Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick
spots with WD-40 and re-wash. Presto! Lipstick is gone!

43) If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

P. S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL.

19 replies
bengals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bengals Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 20

well blow me down!!! i never knew how great this stuff is i am heading out to get some right now thanks for taking time to post this
icon_razz.gif

dldbrou Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 20

Yep, my thoughts exactly, I need more than one can in my house.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 20

My friend swears by using it as a dust repellant.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 20

We've used it for removing a sticky mouse trap from a hairy dog's foot.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 20

Several years ago, it was even said to be effective for arthritis, just spray it on your achy joints, but I never tried it. If it is made of fish oil, and fish oil is good for us, who knows, maybe it works! LOL

sugarbees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbees Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 20

My mil uses it for achy knees and swears by it... thanks for posting this I will be adding it to my wal mart list today..lots of great uses..

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 20

It also helps to keep your turntables spinning silently and smoothly... icon_wink.gif

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 20

It also removes roof tar from a hairy hubby icon_wink.gif . That was an intresting day icon_rolleyes.gif .

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 20

While I wouldn't use it for all of the things listed I used it a few years ago to restore a retro sideboard. My grandpa had used it in his workshop and the formica top had globs of paint and glue (the toxic cement kind). The WD40 worked in getting it all off!

Liniti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liniti Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:21pm
post #12 of 20

I've used it to get those pesky sticky labels off brandnew plastic leftover containers. Sometimes, I have to re-apply it but usually it works the first time if I give it a good spray and let it soak for awhile before trying to rub the label off.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:54pm
post #13 of 20

This is such a funny thread...proesthetic limbs, huh? I don't know why that one gave me a chuckle.

My husband will love the idea of attracting fish. Or, maybe I won't tell him and just sneak a can on the boat for myself....he'll be wondering why I'm catching them all!

thanks for the info...I'm going to grab a can and remove the Disney stickers my dd loves to decorate my bedroom windows with. They are literally baked on by the sun!

sarahpierce....that was very funny icon_biggrin.gif

dldbrou Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 2:43am
post #14 of 20

Now that we have covered most important uses for WD-40, has anyone got interesting uses for Duck Tape? My husband made a wallet out of it a couple of years ago.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:50am
post #15 of 20

Right now I have one of my chairs partially upholstered with duck tape. This is the chair my cat has chosen as her scratching post. The duck tape protects the chair and makes a pretty loud noise when she scratches on it, so I can yell at her to get away from it. LOL

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:38pm
post #16 of 20

WD-40 also works great for making flame throwers

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 6:53pm
post #17 of 20

Ha! I am at the bookstore and there is a 365 calendar of duct tape , and right away, I think cake central! LOL!

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 7:02pm
post #18 of 20

Oh geez...... icon_surprised.gif Sorry , that was'nt me on the last post !!! My son hijacked my pc for a minute!!!! I had to chuck norris him to get it back!! icon_biggrin.gif LOL

dldbrou Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 8:53pm
post #19 of 20

Cakelady, I was wondering about your extra-curricular activities. LOL

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 11:49pm
post #20 of 20

The part of it about getting tomato stains is true. Works like a charm. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%