How To Get The Grittiness Texture Out Of Whipped Cream Bc

Decorating By dogluvr Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 5:50am by dandelion56602

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 22

I just recently tried the "whipped cream buttercream" icing recipe posted her by Gingoodies and I absolutely love it. It is light and fluffly with a good taste.....the only thing I don't like and its been mentioned by customers is the icing is gritty..you can feel the sugar granules. When you make the recipe you put boiling water in with the meringue powder and granular sugar...so it does melt somewhat....does anyone know how to get rid of this texture to make it just very smooth tasting. I've tried mixing much longer than the recipe calls for, but no help. Does anyone have a favorite wedding cake icing with a good taste and texture...that's what I'm looking for.........thank you.

21 replies
dogluvr Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:40am
post #2 of 22

any ideas? This recipe idoes not have whip cream in it...its just whipped BC....I would love ideas of wedding cake favorites....

dogluvr Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:19am
post #3 of 22

anyone?

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:41am
post #4 of 22

I'm not sure we can ever make our bc the way commercial is made, without a little bit of grit? I get a super smooth creamy texture with the recipe I use, but it does have that slight grit to it between your teeth. I was taste testing the icing Sam's sells a while back and that was the one big difference I noted; it didn't have that grit. I do know when cooking with sugar it goes through different stages. First, it dissolves, then it becomes very sticky and chewy, and can quickly return to a gritty stage.

I know there are whipped products you can buy such as Bettercreme, and.....shoot, I can't remember the other, but they are very smooth and creamy texture, and one of them is supposedly shelf stable for a few days. Maybe that is what you're looking for?

I'm sorry I can't be more help, but of all the different icing recipes I've tried, there is still a bit of a grit. (I haven't tried to make whipped icing though).

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:15am
post #5 of 22

Can I ask what brand of powdered sugar you are using? This seems to be the key to the smoothness of my bc.

dogluvr Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:38am
post #6 of 22

I have tried both domino and the grocery store brand, giant eagle, and the results are the same...it is 10x

dogluvr Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:40am
post #7 of 22

I don't have this problem when I use a recipe with just ps, but the recipe on this site calls for 2 parts...one part you whip crisco and ps then the next part you whip meringue powder, granular sugar and boiling water and whip that then you put both together and whip

dogluvr Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:42am
post #8 of 22

the taste is so good and its fluffy...thats why I'd like to get rid of that gritty sugar texture when you eat it...you can feel the sugar....

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:42am
post #9 of 22

Have you tried to dissolve the sugar in the water first, then add in the meringue, and then whip? I have no idea if that would make a difference, just trying to give you ideas.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:04am
post #10 of 22

I've wondered the same thing & have thought about dissolving the sugar next time or using all ps just to see what it does. Keep us updated if you try something different

dogluvr Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:16am
post #11 of 22

ok, thank you...I will try both...the recipe says for the 2nd part with the granular sugar when you put the boiling water in, immediately start the beaters on high...but I will experiment to see if I can disolve the sugar first then whip and see how it acts.......thanks again.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:43am
post #12 of 22

I used this recipe a few weeks ago and I agree, it was really good. I don't know if the "grit" I experienced was the same as what you perceived. To me, it just had the standard "powdered sugar buttercream" grit. I don't think it was from the granulated sugar. I detect that crunch in ANY PS buttercream, even the top recipes here on CC (which is why I personally prefer IMBC, ganache, or a fudge icing). You might want to do a finger or taste test on the meringue before you combine it with the creamed crisco... to see if it feels gritty...just to help you determine if that is where the problem is.

Just my 2c, I've only had one experience with this recipe...I'm due to make it again in 2 days.

You asked for other suggestions for wedding cakes; for me I WOULD go with an IMBC/SMBC. If it must be a powdered-sugar icing, Sugarshack and IndyDebi both have popular icing recipes. I tried Debi's this week, I preferred the flavor of the WCBC (although performance-wise hers is a superior recipe: crusts and smooths great). -->Did you try smoothing the WCBC by the way? I couldn't get it smooth to save my life. To be fair, I made a 1/2 recipe so I might just have incorporated too much air.

I'm not a fan of Bettercreme or similar products (Pastry Pride, Frostin Pride) but those would give you limited decorating options for a wedding cake anyway.

dandelion56602 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:52pm
post #13 of 22

When I've made it it's grit--sugar grit that won't go away!

As for recipes, I love Sugarshack's! I just bought hi-ratio shortening & it's the CREAMIEST!!!

As for SMBC, I love working w/ it, but can't for the life of me get it to fluff. It's like creamy butter for me. My 1st batch was perfect & then flop from then on. Not to mention the expense!

I have this recipe in my to make lists http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3533-Creamy-whipped-buttercream-icing.html . I'm thinking it's probably a smooth icing like SMBC & IMBC, but Kitagrl didn't know b/c she's never worked w/ meringue icings. So, you might give it a try & save yourself the trouble of trying to figure out the other recipe.

ceshell Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 7:11pm
post #14 of 22

dandelion, if you are still up for trying to get an MBC to work, try IMBC instead...I use Rose Levy Berenbaum's "Mousseline Buttercream" recipe (found on the internet if you don't have the Cake Bible." I use pasteurized whites (just don't get All Whites, get the store brand) and have light, fluffy MBC every time. Oh how I love that stuff! As long as you don't serve it cold, it's dreamy.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 7:23pm
post #15 of 22

To me, any icing made with powdered sugar is gritty.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 7:25pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

When I've made it it's grit--sugar grit that won't go away!

As for recipes, I love Sugarshack's! I just bought hi-ratio shortening & it's the CREAMIEST!!!

As for SMBC, I love working w/ it, but can't for the life of me get it to fluff. It's like creamy butter for me. My 1st batch was perfect & then flop from then on. Not to mention the expense!

I have this recipe in my to make lists http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3533-Creamy-whipped-buttercream-icing.html . I'm thinking it's probably a smooth icing like SMBC & IMBC, but Kitagrl didn't know b/c she's never worked w/ meringue icings. So, you might give it a try & save yourself the trouble of trying to figure out the other recipe.

You mentioned you tried hi ratio shortening and it's the creamiest, so can you really say that it makes a huge difference to plain shortening. I would really like to try it both ways, I tried sugarshacks bc with reg shortening and no one seemed to really like it, but I would like to try it with high ratio to see if it makes a difference. What I really want is a recipe as they quoted here that uses heavy cream, seems like it wouldn't be as sweet and fulffy, that's what I like.

dogluvr Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:49am
post #17 of 22

yes, I did try the mixture of crisco & ps before combining and its not the ps ....its definitely the granular sugar....I did have a hard time smoothing, I think because it was soooo soft. I got some air out by pushing into the icing with my spatula...but I made a full sheet cake and could not smooth without lines because it was so soft, it had the spatula marks!!!! I think I keep this icing for smaller cakes and experiment with disolving the sugar before mixing merengue...I let you know how it comes out.....Ceshell, does the Mousseline Buttercream need to be refrigerated because of the egg whites....thanks for all the replies

ceshell Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:41am
post #18 of 22

Well dogluvr, that question has various answers. The official answer is yes, it is supposed to be kept refrigerated. However there are many established pros here at CC who swear by not refrigerating it for 2 days or so, as long as the temperature is cool. I think you need to leave that up to your discretion and comfort zone. If you choose to not refrigerate and you make IMBC rather than SMBC, then be sure to use pasteurized whites. (With SMBC the whites are cooked to safe temp, but with IMBC there is some debate as to whether the hot syrup brings up the temp enough.)

dandelion56602 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:20am
post #19 of 22

panchanewjersey, I will say hi-ratio makes a Huge difference. I used Crisco in the recipe for 1 year & wished I would have made the switch a long time ago. Then I asked my local Cash 'n Carry if they could get HR. I bought Wesson's Super Quick Blend & it was Amazing the difference. I just couldn't afford to buy Sweetex plus have it shipped. So, if you have a cake store or want to use it, buy a 3 or 4 lb block & you'll be soooo surprised. The look is more like bakery icing---smooth & creamy. It's just perfect & crusts well too. It is still a sweet icing though. HTH

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:35am
post #20 of 22

dogluvr - The sugar is deffinantly not dissolving. Now, I have never made the recipe so I can't say weather or not it would work, but what I would do is cook the sugar and the water together just abit so the sugar dissolved. It sounds like that is the point of boiling the water to begin with, it's just not working completely.
HTH

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:37am
post #21 of 22

I havent seen the recipe...could you post it?
Edna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%