What's Your Opinion? Buy Or Make Your Own Fondant?

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 1:46am by PinkZiab

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:06am
post #1 of 7

I always buy my fondant but I'm beginning to wonder if it's more economical to make it myself. What do you think? I like the conveince but I want to cut the cost if I can. How hard is it to make it and what's the difference in the homemade vs the store bought? Thanks

6 replies
ThreePrinces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreePrinces Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:13am
post #2 of 7

Marshmallow fondant (MMF) is very easy to make and, in my opinion, tastes 110% than the store bought stuff. It's very economical to make...some mini marshmallows and powdered sugar, and you're good to go. Easy peasy!

(I also find the MMF a lot easier to color and work with than the store bought stuff.)

sweetneice Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:23am
post #3 of 7

Thanks, I'll try it! I'm assuming they have a recipe here and will look it up! Since it's made of marshmallows, do you have to do anything special to it? Is it hard to roll out and place on cakes because of the elasticity?

aliciababcock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciababcock Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 7

I have used MMF and toba garrett's fondant and love both of them. The only kind I have ever bought was Wilton and that was to practice with and learn how the texture should feel when I made it.

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:33am
post #5 of 7

I have never bought any because of the cost. I have made MMF and love it!! It is easy to make and easy to work with also. I have also made the rolled buttercream and like it also. That is what I am working with right now on all my Valentine cookies. It sure makes covering a bunch of cookies at one time easy!

sweetneice Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:40am
post #6 of 7

Wow! I never knew so many people make their own! I'm going to make some tomorrow. The problem that I have encountered every now and then when I use the store bought is the tearing and elephant skin, Do you have as much problem with the MMF?

Oh, how do you use that on cookies?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:46am
post #7 of 7

I buy Satin Ice. Time is money and for me my time is better well spent doing other things, especially since my homemade fondant tastes nearly identical (I don't use MMF or anything like that). Satin Ice is a great product (both tasting and how it handles) I pass the extra expense onto the customer, so it doesn't screw up my bottom line.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%