Covering A Cake Board In Fondant?

Decorating By angiev77 Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 10:19am by miss_sweetstory

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone tell me how to cover a cake board in fondant? I don't understand how it sticks. I also need to cover the sides since they will show (i am using it for the lid of a cake) but I can't figure out how to do that either. It is just a 12 inch cake board. Someone suggested that I cover it in Royal Icing instead-would this be a better idea and if so, how do I do that???????? icon_eek.gif

5 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 6

Hi, first you need to brush some piping gel, water or clear alcohol on the board. Then rollout the fondant and cover the board. Here is a tutorial for you to see. But I haven't covered around the board with fondant though!

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/cake-decorating/covering-cake-board-with-fondant.cfm

HTH.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 6

There are several things you can use to attach the fondant to the cake board - water, piping gel or glucose. I used both piping gel and glucose.

Just put the piping gel or glucose on the board and try to spread a thin, even sheet. if you don't, your bumps with show on the fondant. Then, just roll your fondant out large enought to cover both the top and side of your board and cover just like you would cover a cake. I find it much easier to cover than a cake, actually.

Good Luck!

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks, you made it sound very easy!!!

londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:58am
post #5 of 6

This was a cake I made, the lid was a thin board which I covered in fondant using water stick it on with, as the board was thin I was able to rub the fondant down around the edges to cover the sides. I sort of cut the fondant under the board to tidy it up.
Hope that makes sense icon_rolleyes.gif

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1308051.html

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:19am
post #6 of 6

Just use a light hand with the water or gel or whatever sticking agent you use. I wet a paper towel and just brush it over the board. You don't want to add too much moisture to your fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%