Customer's Perspective Of A Cake Tasting

Business By maryjsgirl Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 7:01pm by dailey

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:35am
post #1 of 59

A bride's review of cake tastings....

http://judyonthenet.com/2008/07/24/the-best-part-about-wedding-planning-cake-tasting-pt1

I thought it was interesting to read a bride's response to different cake tastings and what she liked and didn't like. She also shares photos of the cake tasting plates. A good read for those of us that are new to the cake tasting world.

58 replies
summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:46am
post #2 of 59

Ooooh. Thanks for sharing. I am still trying to figure tastings out-I just hate them.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:49am
post #3 of 59

very interesting! thanks for sharing. icon_smile.gif

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:50am
post #4 of 59

Can't seem to get the link to work.

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:54am
post #5 of 59

That is very interesting. Thanks for posting this!

VickiChicki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiChicki Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:55am
post #6 of 59

I can't get it to work either!

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:10am
post #7 of 59

wow interesting indeed... you know i make all these cakes and i just cant get that nice look like in the first plate of flavours where it looks so nice and set and thick with filling yet my customers all love their cake hmmm andi dont even have slices cut like that i let the customer cut off their own piece and they seem to like that.

Man i think i may have to have a few plays heheh which i am sure my hubby and kids will love but if anyone could share with me how i make a nice firm filling like that or what it is that does it i would really appreciate it thanks... hehe

yassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yassy Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:10am
post #8 of 59

Very interesting. l have never seen a cake tasting blog before!

mbpbrighteyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbpbrighteyes Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:21am
post #9 of 59

Wow... how interesting. We never even did a single tasting for our wedding, so it's nice to have the perspective. Thanks for posting! (although... made me hungry for some cake!)

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:24am
post #10 of 59

Thank you very much for posting this link.

Amy

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:32am
post #11 of 59

Talk about overkill. Nine cake tastings?? Seriously.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:35am
post #12 of 59

Oh my gosh!! I got so excited to read this and now I can't the link to work!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:55am
post #13 of 59

what an *annoying* little twit! i hate when people are greedy. i would flat out refuse to make her cake...

summernoelle Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:13am
post #14 of 59

I just finished reading. Did anyone else think the Groom was a total weirdo? What normal groom is that obsessed with "smoothness" of the decorations?

Still an interesting insight. Seems like it all boiled down to taste, though.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:18am
post #15 of 59

Ugh. Ok, part of me wants to be like "oh how cute, she had a great time out there, and wrote up a pretty informative article for brides"....but the other side of me wants to do this:

If you taste here, you might want to consider bringing a couple friends.)...yes, because all of us decorators just loooove to have you bring as many people as possible and mooch our cake!

Because it was a pretty intimate setting and Margaret was there the whole time, I didnt feel comfortable taking pictures of the samples.) One of the many reasons why I don't do sit down tastings. No way, no how. Thanks to the suggestions of several in here, I pack those samples up in a cute box, label them, stick a card in there, and send those girlies on their way! We can discuss details of your cake, cost, blah blah blah at another time. Enjoy your samples and call with questions! Next!

maybe I felt weird acting like a pig in front of Margaret....and believe me honey, I don't want to watch you eat anymore than you want to be watching me watch you.

so we got to taste fondant for the first time. (Its gross. Its basically sugar wax. If we get fondant, make sure to peel it off the cake before you eat it.) icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif Thanks a lot Cake Expressions for using shi**y fondant and making it that much more difficult for those of us that use GREAT fondant....argh! Ok, maybe their fondant is ok, and the bridde just doesn't like it, no matter what it tastes like. Sorry CE, if this is the case.

New thing I learned today: Fondant really is just sugar and water.
...well that makes two of us! Ain't that inneresting! icon_biggrin.gif

That blog was a great read. I'm glad she enjoyed herself, and that's all that matters. But, in the end, nothing she said will cause me to change the way I do things. Only reaffirmed my decision to not do sit down tastings!

Thanks for the link MJ Girl! thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:18am
post #16 of 59

I do mine from home (legally) so no way can I just slice up nine flavors like that. Anyway, around here most caterers include wedding cakes so although I get many party and groom's cakes, my wedding orders are still sparse.

I make two mini tasting cakes by cutting them round and then icing them homestyle (or pouring ganache) so they have two little 3" fully iced cakes, and they can taste them and/or take them home. So far its been the easiest way to do it for me, and presentation isn't too bad. Still haven't decided the best way to box them up yet.

Still interesting. I will say the way I do it, at least there's no chance of the cake drying out, and they will taste just like on wedding day.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:27am
post #17 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

I just finished reading. Did anyone else think the Groom was a total weirdo? What normal groom is that obsessed with "smoothness" of the decorations?

icon_lol.gif You know that poor guy is now going to have to endure pantyhose fittings at 50 different lingerie shops around town and proofread her blogs!! icon_lol.gif

dailey Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:34am
post #18 of 59
Quote:

LOL! i was thinking the same thing. what a pansy...

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:43am
post #19 of 59

I do not do cakes for a living so have no idea what it's like for all of you out there. However, having read this article I must say I take my hat off to all of you for having to deal with people like this. Seriously, have they never had cake before or something???

If I hear of a cake decorator going off the deep end in some bizarre front-page news story I will know it was the poor person who got stuck with making the cake for these people.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:00am
post #20 of 59
Quote:

Yeah I hope she was as thorough picking her groom as she was picking her cake, lol.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:23am
post #21 of 59

That was interesting, but I missed or couldn't find where it said which place she picked for their wedding cake!

judyonthenet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judyonthenet Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:27am
post #22 of 59

Hi everyone! I'm the person whose blog you guys have linked in this thread. Sorry if anybody has trouble checking out the page... the server is being flaky. I noticed I was getting a few folks from this forum.

I hope you guys are getting some useful info out of my rambling posts. I totally understand if you folks think I overdid it with the cake tastings. Cake is kind of a big deal to me. icon_redface.gif Feel free to ask me any questions, send me hatemail, whatever. It's all good icon_smile.gif

And yes, my husband is a total weirdo. He has to be... he married me!

And to Jamie's comment on the fondant: I don't think it was Cake Expressions; I really think fondant isn't my thing. I tried it at a couple places, and I can't imagine myself liking anything with that much sugar density. Feel free to prove me wrong tho!

Edited to add: Sorry I just missed the above post. I haven't made a post about my cake yet, but we ended up going with La Patisserie.
http://flickr.com/photos/goteddygo/3007758682/in/set-72157608706637460/

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:13am
post #23 of 59

Judy, I looked everywhere on your blog and was dissappointed that after reading all about the tasting, there was no wedding cake picture. Kind of like reading a novel and discovering that the end pages are missing when you finally got there. Thank You so much for posting a link to your wedding cake picture. And it is just darling. I love the topper, so cute.

Since you are obviously a cake person, have you ever considered trying your hand at it? You might like the idea of baking and decorating cakes which are much more to your taste than the ones you did not like during your journey. You'll find an abundance of help and encouragement here on CC. And if/when you and your new hubby decide to have kids, you'll be ready to make their birthday cakes. That's how many of us got started.

Hang around, you'll love it here!

~Anna

summernoelle Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:30pm
post #24 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

Quote:

LOL! i was thinking the same thing. what a pansy...

LMAO. icon_lol.gif

summernoelle Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:34pm
post #25 of 59

Oops, just saw the Bride posted here. Sorry to insult your husband-we always forget that people we talk about here are real people.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:36pm
post #26 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariginal

... but if anyone could share with me how i make a nice firm filling like that or what it is that does it i would really appreciate it thanks... hehe

Gelatin and gums like agar agar, etc.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:57pm
post #27 of 59

The cake was really pretty. I love the topper.. so cute.

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:16pm
post #28 of 59

oooohhh... I like the groom's cake!

Fondant... there are different types. I sent a cake to work with my hubby last week, and used store-bought fondant. He even put a note on it so people would know to peel it off because it really wasn't good. I used it because I had it, and since the cake had god chocolate icing, I figured it could be peeled. I was doing the cake so I could try a new technique with dust and my airbrush and made it a point that it was an experimental cake (eat at your own risk. *lol*).

One guy... yes, a MAN... called hubby and let him know that the fondant wasn't nearly as good as my "other" fondant. All I could do is laugh. My other fondant was the cream cheese fondant that is listed in the recipes section here, and it does taste very good, but it doesn't have the same workability as the store-bought stuff. I'll be practicing how to get it a bettter texture (I live in teh mountains, so maybe high altitude was part of my problem).

dailey Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:57pm
post #29 of 59
Quote:

Oops, just saw the Bride posted here. Sorry to insult your husband-we always forget that people we talk about here are real people.

make that a double ooops, lol!

just took a peek at your wedding cake and i'm sure your hubby was quite pleased, it was lovey AND smooth! thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:05pm
post #30 of 59
Quote:

Oops, just saw the Bride posted here-we always forget that people we talk about here are real people.

As opposed to the imaginary voices in our heads of course.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%