How To Clean Pasta Roller ?

Decorating By chanielisalevy Updated 29 Aug 2013 , 5:39pm by maybenot

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:03am
post #1 of 16

What is your best suggestions as to how to clean my manual pasta roller from the dried bits of fondant? I find that the next time I want to use it there is always bits of dried fondant inside sticking to the new fondant color. I tried running a wrung out sponge through it. ANy ideas?

15 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 16

You can't put them in water so I tap it, shake the heck out of it over the sink, turn the handle many, many times, tap it, shake it and use a pastry brush to get into corners. That's the best I can do for you.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:55am
post #3 of 16

You can also use a damp or shortening-laced paper towel or cloth under the rollers as you turn them. Don't put it on top - the rollers can grab the towel and pull it in. Don't ask me how I know that icon_redface.gif I usually use shortening and move the towel back and forth to get the entire area.

chanielisalevy Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:31am
post #4 of 16

Thanks! WIll try that - but what's wrong with the damp towel running through the rollers?

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:39am
post #5 of 16

You could always get a spray can of air to blast out stubborn pieces.

chanielisalevy Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:57am
post #6 of 16

WHAT IS THAT AND WHERE DO YOU GET IT ? IS IT BETTER THAN WATER OR CRISco?

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:16pm
post #7 of 16

I was wondering about this I used mine this past weekend and I was having the same problem I even bought a second one. evasmama that is a great idea I'm going to try that

Thanks

Molly thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanielisalevy

WHAT IS THAT AND WHERE DO YOU GET IT ? IS IT BETTER THAN WATER OR CRISco?

Compressed air in cans is available at most office supply stores. It's used for dusting electronics. Use it sparingly.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 16

I take mine apart, but some of the pieces are a real PITA to get back together! My daughter was playing with some left over fondant one day and boy was it a mess!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 16

You can put a damp towel through it, you just can't submerge it. The fondant gets stuck where it comes through on the bottom. You can turn it upside down and rest a damp towel on it to loosen it up and then scrub it off. Then when it has dried you can run a piece of fondant through to grab any loose bits.

karthurs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karthurs Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 11:35am
post #11 of 16

AUNDER!!!! Brilliant! I had a brand new kitchenaid attachment. It was awesome. Used it the first time couldn't believe how wuickly I was able to move through my project. But then it started sticking. So I moistened paper towel and had it running to clean the rollers. Worked several times and then the last time. It grabbed the towel and jammed the machine. It jammed so badly that it broke a piece inside. I was heartbroken. $80!!! And called kitchenaid and they do not sell this little metal bolt that would have fixed the whole thing.

I bought another but have worried. About how I could clean it next time. Thank you!!!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:07pm
post #12 of 16

Like Scratch, I run a piece of damp paper towel through mine when I am finished.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 9:23pm
post #13 of 16

I guess if you have an inexpensive manual roller, running a damp towel THRU it won't be such a big $$ hit if it gets permanently stuck. 

I have the KA pasta rollers [$$$$] and they clearly state to NEVER run any type of towel/rag thru machine.  It can easily break it and if it's under warranty, it voids that.

I use the pastry-type brush that came with the set to loosen dry pieces. Then, I take a clean dish towel that I dampen with hot water and hold it UNDER the rollers while they're running on a slow speed.  I repeat with a dry towel.  Works like a charm.

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 12:40pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot 

I guess if you have an inexpensive manual roller, running a damp towel THRU it won't be such a big $$ hit if it gets permanently stuck. 

I have the KA pasta rollers [$$$$] and they clearly state to NEVER run any type of towel/rag thru machine.  It can easily break it and if it's under warranty, it voids that.

I use the pastry-type brush that came with the set to loosen dry pieces. Then, I take a clean dish towel that I dampen with hot water and hold it UNDER the rollers while they're running on a slow speed.  I repeat with a dry towel.  Works like a charm.

I trying to visualize that but I can't...r u just holding the rollers OVER the moist towel???

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 1:28pm
post #15 of 16

AI lost my first KA pasta roller the same way. I was carefully wiping the rollers with my thin, damp dish towel. Rollers grabbed it and sucked it in. It got about half way out and bam. Stopped. For good.

I still mourn its loss. And I felt like a real bonehead, too.

I took the whole thing apart, feeling all handy one day. (Not an easy thing to disassemble!) got the bits of towel out, out everything back together, but it was done.

I ordered a new one, and this one I baby. To clean it, I do what the posters above do, except I've never tried the upside down thing. For the bottom I just scrape it off when dry and then take a damp PAPER towel and wipe out any of the rest.

And I refuse to use red or black fondant in it, because its just a mess I don't want to deal with.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 5:37pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiernurse 

I trying to visualize that but I can't...r u just holding the rollers OVER the moist towel???

The rollers are in a housing that attaches to the front of the KA mixer.  I turn on the mixer and the rollers turn.  I hold the damp towel under the housing & the turning rollers so that they're in contact with the rollers.  This cleans the rollers.

The same can be done with a manual roller, but of course you have to be able turn the crank handle while holding the damp towel against the rollers UNDER the machine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%