1St Time Making Cookies By Scratch... Butter Vs Margarine.

Baking By paula19 Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 2:51pm by eatdessert1st

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 5

I know it's been asked. I looked up the differences and similarities, but i'm still confused. i have unsalted margarine, but the recipe calls for unsalted butter. could you really tell if you used butter or margarine, or do the cookies taste pretty much the same? and if they don't, could i just use margarine and add a little bit of artificial butter flavor?

4 replies
DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 5

You'll get a ton of different responses. I think a lot of it is based on personal preference. I will only bake with butter, I prefer the taste and the texture. But just as many people will only bake with margarine. Try it, see how they turn out and if you like them. Then when you get some butter, try it that way. That's really the only way you'll know the best way for you.

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for replying icon_smile.gif and you're right. It should be the best way for me to really know. I'm doing a bake sale thing at an elementary on the 13th, not too long from now, as you can see, and I just want everything to go well. Thanks for the advice, I'll try that icon_biggrin.gif

amy2197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy2197 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 5

I also prefer butter, but the biggest difference in the two is the temperature in which they melt. Like vstar_pilot said, everybody has a different preference.

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 5

I found a few links that are very informative. Probably more info than you want, though! icon_biggrin.gif In the baking911 link she suggests using a combination of margarine and butter, not using all margarine.... has to do w/ fat percentage, I think. I love the taste of real butter so that's all I bake with. Are you using margarine for the cost?

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Desserts-747/cooking-baking-margerine-v.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%