Aaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Business By mkolmar Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 3:56am by mkolmar

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 12

I'M FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!!!
I gave up my legal kitchen a little bit ago. I'm in the process of being legal hopefully within the next 2 months at a different location. I'm already in the process of setting up cakes and chocolates to sell a few months out to date. No biggie, I should be legal by then.
Just got a call from a high end flower shop that has had my desserts many times before. They are going to be on 2 different TV news stations for interviews and to showcase their work. They want me to make up desserts and chocolates to hand-out, and also said that they would recommend I be in the spot too. Not to mention the people who come to visit the store and the exposure it would have.
This would be for FEB 13 and Feb 14. I'm not legal yet! I was told I could donate the items and would be fine. I'm going to call HD just to make sure first thing tomorrow.
I'm not sure if I should pass on this or not. I don't want to screw myself over. My head is spinning.

11 replies
Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 12

wow what an opportunity and something that may not come again... if it is all okay to do GO FOR IT... they must think something to approach you so what better praise could you ask for... congrats and keep us informed

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 12

. . . would your (previous) legal kitchen be available for a couple of days . . . just a thought . . .

ImageImage

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 12

Uuhhh, it sounds like the best opportunity you should probably just jump in, but what if they start asking questions on where you're at and all that and your still not settled in your new place. All you need for them to ask is, "Where did you make these wonderful desserts?" What would you say to them. Just be careful, but otherwise your one lucky lady.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 12

What a great way to announce "We'll be operational in our new commercial kitchen very soon!"

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 12

perfectly worded indydebi.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 12

Call it a "sneak preview" and have flyers with the date you WILL be legal.

mkolmar Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 12

Just an update: I talked to the state and local HD and they both said I'm ok as long as I don't get paid. They recommended me promoting it as a future business like you gals did.
You are all so smart, I wouldn't have thought of that then, my head was going in loops.
So now I'm trying to come up with ideas to pass out. Any advice on that one?

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:36pm
post #9 of 12

((((( HUGS )))))

You have my full support friend. I'm pulling for you and whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be the right one for you.
Feel free to give me a call if you need to vent. icon_smile.gif

GOOD LUCK!!! thumbs_up.gif Keep us posted!!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:42pm
post #10 of 12

The 'sneak preview' phrase is a great one!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:35pm
post #11 of 12

How awesome for you! thumbs_up.gif

On dessert ideas...

mini tarts (key lime, banana cream, fruit, pecan, etc)
chocolate shells filled with flavored mousses or whipped ganache
caramel with fleur de sal (this seems to be a popular thing lately)

and whatever your specialties are that you will be offering at your shop. Which desserts did the flower shop have that they obviously loved?

mkolmar Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:56am
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone.

maryjsgirl-great ideas! Thanks for sharing them. I'm not really sure what I've made since I make a wide variety of different items. I do remember making coffee chocolate chip muffins, truffles, molded chocolates filled with cheesecake, ganache, caramel-toasted pecan-bourbon, heath, and oreo filling, southern spiced pecans, scones and cookies. However, I've made more than that for them before. The owner is suppose to call me tomorrow, but he's running around like a chicken with his head cut off too.
My DH said to make some of the items you suggested like tarts and also those chocolate transfer sandwiches. (2 chocolate transfer cut-outs of circles filled with choc. mousse like a little sandwich).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%