How Do I Get This Design?

Decorating By bakerchick Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 9:45pm by bakerchick

bakerchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerchick Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:59am
post #1 of 17

Hi all

just wondering if anybody recognises this design. I assume they are made by cutters, but can anyone shed some light on which cutters they might be, or where i might purchase them from?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
regards
bakerchick
LL

16 replies
mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:02am
post #2 of 17

That's so funny! I just posted a question about cutters on a different cake!

I don't know if they're using cutters...that might be stenciling work...

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:06am
post #3 of 17

I was going to say stenciling work also, but you might look at Global Sugar Art. They have a lot of different gumpaste/fondant cutters.

bakerchick Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:09am
post #4 of 17

thanks for the quick replies - how do i stencil? i hvae never done this before. can i buy templates? and what do i use to apply the pattern?

thanks again everyone

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:17am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerchick

thanks for the quick replies - how do i stencil? i hvae never done this before. can i buy templates? and what do i use to apply the pattern?

thanks again everyone

They are stencils. What it appears this person as done is, colored royal icing black, then place the stencil up against the cake then with a spatula, spread the icing over the design on the stencil, then carefully lift the stencil off the cake and wahlah. There is your design. You know, what you could do also is, if you have a really sharp blade and a good hand, you can take this design and blow it up and print it out then use that as your template using cardboard or whatever as your template. I cant cut that good, I wish i could. Good Luck

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:23am
post #6 of 17

here is a good viedo that tells how to stencil on buttercream http://www.designerstencils.com/Videos/ButterCream/ButterCream.html

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:25am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantfrenzy

They are stencils. What it appears this person as done is, colored royal icing black, then place the stencil up against the cake then with a spatula, spread the icing over the design on the stencil, then carefully lift the stencil off the cake and wahlah. ...

It's actually "voila"

Anyway...bakerchick, there is a Sugar Teachers Blog that I am a part of if you'd like to take a look at it: http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com and I put up a tutorial on my Damask Wedding Cake (I made my own wedding cake & did another for a recent wedding expo) using stencils.

Hope that helps!

bakerchick Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:53am
post #8 of 17

thank you, thank you, thank you. I am so relieved to have an answer.

mom2spunkynbug, thanks for the link, i'm on it. I would never have guessed it was a stencil, i've never heard of stencils for cakes! goes to show how much i know! - not!!!!!

thanks again everyone

fondantfrenzy Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:23am
post #9 of 17

"It's actually "voila" "

Sorry grew up in th da GHETTO not very edjumacated.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:54am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

It's actually "voila"

If we're going to get technical, it's voilà. icon_smile.gif

Though, I must say, I love the variations of that word on this web site. It's amazing how creative some people can be.

Vocabulary lesson over!

The cakes on the blog are beautiful. And that stenciling video is so cool! Is it regular consistency BC that she used of had it been thinned?

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:14am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantfrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerchick

thanks again everyone

They are stencils. What it appears this person as done is, colored royal icing black, then place the stencil up against the cake then with a spatula, spread the icing over the design on the stencil, then carefully lift the stencil off the cake and wahlah. There is your design. You know, what you could do also is, if you have a really sharp blade and a good hand, you can take this design and blow it up and print it out then use that as your template using cardboard or whatever as your template. I cant cut that good, I wish i could. Good Luck

IN regards to making your own template i use ice cream container lids as it is plastic, flexible and washable if that helps... good luck cant wait to see a pic of your version of the cake... good luck

LovetoShare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovetoShare Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:50am
post #12 of 17

Thanks so much for the link to your blog site. Beautiful cakes! Just beautiful! Enjoy viewing them.

fondantfrenzy Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:55pm
post #13 of 17

Ariginal, how do you cut the design? That's such a great idea.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:47pm
post #14 of 17

iuse a stanley knife or craft knife but needs to be sharp... thanks i hope it helps others only prob is i have ended up with quite a few cut outs now hehehe...

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:55pm
post #15 of 17

justgale Thanks so much for that video, that was so easy I never thought that's how easy it would be. I thought it took countless hours of piping to get something like that. Thanks a bunch!

tallgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tallgood Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:03pm
post #16 of 17

If you plan on doing alot of stenciling, you might want to check out electric stencil cutters, especially on ebay. They range from $11.99 on up.

Quilters use them alot and you don't have to use exacto knives. Similar to wood burning tool from the 60's and 70's. Cuts thru the plastic/vinyl like butter. Do have to tape the plastic/vinyl on glass, with the design you want to cut taped underneath the glass.

bakerchick Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 9:45pm
post #17 of 17

I had absolutly no idea these cutters were available, i was thinking how neat my design would be if i cut it our by hand. I'm looking now to see if i cna get one.

Thais has been an excellent learning experience, the video was unreal, and i als thought something like this would take hours to achieve.

Thanks tallgood thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%