Italian Meringue Buttercream???

Decorating By threematbros Updated 5 Jun 2014 , 9:02pm by FaireMaiden

threematbros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threematbros Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 8

Is it possible to make Italian Meringue Buttercream if you do not have a KA? TIA

7 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 8

Well, both my stand mixer and my hand mixer are Kitchen Aid brand, but I've made IMBC with both the stand and hand mixers. It takes longer using the hand mixer.

threematbros Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 8

I'm so sorry I should have been more specific. I do mean a hand mixer. So it can be done, just more time consuming?

prterrell Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 8

Yup! Although, honestly I'd be wary of doing it too often with some of the brands of hand-mixers out there as it could burn out the motor.

Putting the bowl of meringue in an ice bath while you beat it on high will speed up the process of cooling it down enough to add the butter some.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 8

Yes, it can be done. After making it once with a hand mixer, I refused to ever do it again. Stand-mixer is definitely the way to go.

threematbros Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you so much for the info.

prterrell Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Yup! Although, honestly I'd be wary of doing it too often with some of the brands of hand-mixers out there as it could burn out the motor.

Putting the bowl of meringue in an ice bath while you beat it on high will speed up the process of cooling it down enough to add the butter some.

Oops! icon_redface.gif That was supposed to say "add the butter sooner".

FaireMaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaireMaiden Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by threematbros 

Is it possible to make Italian Meringue Buttercream if you do not have a KA? TIA

Yes, it's possible... but a total drag... to use a hand-mixer. Firstly, you'll burn-out the motor. Secondly, you'll burn-yourself-out standing there holding the thing, :lol:. I burned-out two hand-mixers and one, cheap Sunbeam stand mixer. So, a word to the wise, if you're serious about making IMBC, spend the money and get a KA... trust me, it's worth it's weight in gold. Suddenly, making IMBC is a pleasure, instead of a pain.

I got my KA specifically for making IMBC. For the longest time, I thought 'my god, hundreds of dollars just to make icing?' But, after getting it, I love it so much more than any hand-mixer I've ever had. I never thought it would make all that much difference, but it does. Now, I do everything in my KA... whipping potatoes, mixing cake batters, cookie dough, bread, even meatloaf (which I used to mix by hand all the time).

A KA is an expenditure, but one that is well-worth making. You'll thank yourself in the end for investing in its power and convenience. I bought a 300-watt, KSM-85 on sale over at Sears. http://www.sears.com/attitude-aprons-1st-rule-of-bbqing/p-00853991000P?prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8 

I saved so much money on the KA sale that I was able to purchase the K5GB Glass Bowl http://www.sears.com/kitchenaid-5q-glass-bowl/p-00816905000P?sLevel=0&redirectType=SKIP_LEVEL

and a Metro Design Beater Blade

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015TMHFG/?tag=cakecentral-20

and still saved a hundred-dollars off the regular retail price of the KA itself. Shop around and you'll find a good deal. QVC often has KA's on sale and with Flex-Pay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%