Debbie Brown....basket Weave...help!

Decorating By cakebaker1978 Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 9:46am by cakebaker1978

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 14

Hi CC!!

I hoping someone can help me with this basket weave thing. I am thinking because it is from a Debbie Brown book that this basket is done in fondant. But yet it looks like it might be done in icing. Does anyone have the lovable character book this cake is from and can tell me for sure? Here is the Debbie Brown cake......
LL

13 replies
saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 14

I've got the book here and she uses Royal Icing and a number 3 tube. She gives a description of exactly what she does do you want me to type it out?

Sara

cakebaker1978 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 14

wow, that would be great if you don't mind. I would hate to put you out. If it is too much trouble don't worry about it, if not, I would appreciate it!! Thanks so much saracupcake!! How nice of you to ask!! icon_biggrin.gif

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 14

that is an adorable cake...it looks like Kipper the Dog...is that who it's supposed to be, or is it just a cute dog?

cakebaker1978 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 14

it is Kipper the dog! lol Isn't it adorable?! However I plan on putting something else in the basket, still from Debbie Brown......what do you think? Will that work?
LL

saracupcake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:02am
post #6 of 14

I think the puppies will look amazing, really cute. Great thinking!

I'll paraphrase slightly till I get to the detailed part and I should have looked more closely, the royal icing is piped on top of a layer of fondant!

Here goes

She uses a 9" round cake and keeps the rounded top where the cake has risen, she trims it into an oval by trimming 2.5cm from opposite sides of the cake then trims in the base to taper in. A wedge is then cut from the front for the basket opening and the trimmings are used to build up the top so everyone looks like they are propped up with blankets!

Colour 470g of fondant pale golden brown, roll out and cut a strip measuring 60 x 7.5cm, wrap round the cake and trim a piece at the front for the basket opening.

Colour the royal icing pale golden brown, using a no.3 plain piping tube, pipe the basketwave effect around the cake, starting at the back. First pipe a verticle line from the top edge of the basket, then pipe three horizontal lines close together over this piped line, repeating 3 times down to the bottom. To continue, pipe another verticle line up against the horizntal lines,then pipe horizontal lines in sets of three in the gaps create. To give the basket a scruffy appearance leave some of the piped lines broken. To finish pipe a herringbone pattern around the base and top edge. Leave to dry.

Hope this makes sence

sara

cakebaker1978 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:29am
post #7 of 14

Thank you SO much Sara! I really appreciate it! I am hoping all goes well for me on this cake. I will post a picture of it on Saturday! Thanks again!!!! :0)

cakebaker1978 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:46am
post #8 of 14

Well, despite some changed in the basket weave I finished my puppy cake! I think it turned out pretty good. I just have to clean it up a little because of ps and stuff I noticed after I took pictures. I will do that before the party tomorrow! Thanks everyone for your help!!! Here is the cake!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1312758

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 14

Oh, your cake turned out so cute! Really a very nice job!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 14

Wow so cute! Great work!!

asschergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asschergirl Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:33pm
post #11 of 14

I'm sure you made her daughter feel very special, what a great gift to give the little girl!! I'm sure you made her day (and her year) that cake will be hard to top icon_smile.gif

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:48pm
post #12 of 14

omg, those are adorable puppies! You did a great job, I know your proud thumbs_up.gif

saracupcake Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:31pm
post #13 of 14

Wow, it is gorgeous! Well done, I think I like your basket better. It looks sturdier, more suitable for an entire litter of puppies!

Sara

cakebaker1978 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:46am
post #14 of 14

Thanks! I couldn't have done it without all of you! CC rocks!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%