How Should I Handle This Copy Cat?

Business By pastrychef101 Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 2:52am by cake_o_rama

slopokesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slopokesgirl Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:05pm
post #31 of 36

Music artists earn royalties when other artists redo a song or use a portion of a song to create a new one.

If only that were possible in the cake world.

Oh to dream.

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 9:41pm
post #32 of 36

Does the show not have any restrictions regarding copycakers? I'm the vindictive type, so I'd call them and complain. Make them tell her she can't show a copy of another exhibitor's original design.

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 9:58pm
post #33 of 36

Sure wanna see that cake! Then if any of us are at the show, we can mention that we saw it in your gallery! icon_surprised.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 10:16pm
post #34 of 36

speaking from someone who often finds inspiration here at cc it would be flattering-just don't bring it to a show if it's not your 100% design i also agree that you should post signs about your work being original and what about having a portfolio with some sketches there (the copycat doesn't sound like she works from sketches) that would show that you work from original ideas

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:30am
post #35 of 36

If you think that she's going to tell people that she designed that cake first, then I would bring out the big guns. Definitely post the signs about the cake being your original design and put the cake picture up (or lay out the book it was in, along with the date if you can). I also think you should change the cake up a little bit as well.

If you just put the sign out with something on it about original design....I bet she will be pretty pissed. But honestly, I would also go and talk to the person who is hosting the show. They shouldn't allow the lady to bring that cake in. That's just wrong.

Good luck! Let us know what happens!

cake_o_rama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_o_rama Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:52am
post #36 of 36

Get there early and set your up first... at least other vendors will see she's a copycaker. I think other vendors is almost a better reason to do shows then the actual brides that show up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%