Tips On Smooth Fondant Cut Out Edges?

Decorating By KieslerKakes Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 7:49pm by prcutie71

KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 9

Any tips on how to get your fondant cut outs smooth on the edges? My charachters seem to be rough around the edges and I have noticed several others on this site the edges are cut so smooth.
Thanks

8 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 9

If you use a very sharp exacto knife it will help and also let the fondant sit for just a few minutes to help harden alittle before cutting it. If you still have some rough edges use your esacto knoe to clean them up after it dries. HTH

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 9

Sometimes it helps to put the fondant on the cutter and use a roller over it to make sure that you have clean edges. (I hope that makes sense, my english is not very good icon_redface.gif ).

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 9

I also use an exacto and give it a couple minutes to harden a bit before cutting. You can also 'tap' down the edges with your finger to get rid of any rough edges (if you're not using an exacto).

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 9

Also make sure you're not rolling your fondant too thick.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 9

Also, frequently clean your cutting tool (whether it's a knife, exacto, cookie cutter, rolling cutter--whatever) while you are working to prevent a buildup. When making a lot of cut-outs, you'd be surprised how fast a cutter can get build-up, leading to less-than-crisp results.

KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the good tips. I know sometimes my fondant is to thin and sometimes it's to thick. I got a pasta machine for Christmas maybe I should try it out!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 9

With my small cutters (where the fondant usually stays inside the cutter and needs to be pushed out) I usually smooth off any excess fondant at the bottom of the cutter with my fingers before I push out the cut out piece. It helps to clean up the edges.

With my larger cutters, I just make sure to do a shimmy shake thing with the cutter on the cutting surface while still pushing down before I lift it off - to ensure it has completely cut through the fondant.

I hope all this makes sense lol!

prcutie71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prcutie71 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 9

Dip your cutter in very hot water wipe off then cut...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%